This Christmas Eve 2013 audio podcast is a recorded conversation with Shelly and Wesley Fryer, reflecting on their recent experiences on December 9th with the “Redeeming the Family” outreach ministry at Mable Bassett Women’s Prison in McCloud, Oklahoma. Redeeming the Family is an organization serving the innocent children of incarcerated parents in Oklahoma through the Oklahoma Messages Project. The Oklahoma Messages Project provides opportunities for mothers and fathers in prison to choose a free book for their child/children and read the book (or an excerpt) for them as part of a DVD message. These DVDs are delivered to the child/children’s caregivers before holidays like Christmas, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. Research shows that increased communication between incarcerated parents and their children can reduce the chances those children will become incarcerated themselves. Redeeming the Family (redeemingthefamily.org) provides opportunities for volunteers to serve in the Oklahoma Messages Project multiple times each year at different Oklahoma prisons around the state.
- Redeeming the Family’s website: www.redeemingthefamily.org (Now the Oklahoma Messages Project)
- Redeeming the Family on Facebook
- Redeeming the Family (now “The Oklahoma Messages Project”) on Twitter: @OKMessagesProj
- Redeeming the Family on YouTube
- Impact of Redeeming the Family programs
- Redeeming the Family: Blessing Children of Incarcerated Parents (14 minute video reflection, May 2013) – Internet Archive Wayback Machine archive available
- Mable Bassett Correctional Center
- Positive Tomorrows School in Oklahoma City
- City Rescue Mission of Oklahoma City
- First Presbyterian Church of Edmond, Oklahoma
- Kairos Prison Ministry International
- Shelly Fryer on Twitter: @sfryer
- Wesley Fryer on Twitter: @wfryer
- Wesley Fryer’s Christian blog, “Eyes Right” (now “Pocket Share Jesus”)
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Star Wars 1978 Remix (Lubbock, Texas) - 2015
- Comparing WordPress Page Caching Options - 2014
- Merry Christmas: Download #playingwithmedia Podcasts Free, Buy eBook 50% off Dec 24 & 25 Only - 2011
- Merry Christmas 2010 from the Fryers - 2010
- Live on Ustream - It's a snowstorm in central Oklahoma - 2009
- Give the gift of family oral history this holiday - 2008
- Podcast105: Thinking Critically About Library and School Technologies - 2006
- Eragon and WikiPedia extended learning - 2006
- Copying iTunes songs, DVD conversion and feeding - 2006