This Christmas Eve 2013 audio podcast is a recorded conversation with Shelly and Wesley Fryer, reflecting on their recent experiences on December 9th with the “Redeeming the Family” outreach ministry at Mable Bassett Women’s Prison in McCloud, Oklahoma. Redeeming the Family is an organization serving the innocent children of incarcerated parents in Oklahoma through the Oklahoma Messages Project. The Oklahoma Messages Project provides opportunities for mothers and fathers in prison to choose a free book for their child/children and read the book (or an excerpt) for them as part of a DVD message. These DVDs are delivered to the child/children’s caregivers before holidays like Christmas, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. Research shows that increased communication between incarcerated parents and their children can reduce the chances those children will become incarcerated themselves. Redeeming the Family (redeemingthefamily.org) provides opportunities for volunteers to serve in the Oklahoma Messages Project multiple times each year at different Oklahoma prisons around the state.
- Redeeming the Family’s website: www.redeemingthefamily.org
- Donate to Redeeming the Family financially
- Redeeming the Family on Facebook
- Redeeming the Family on Twitter: @RTFOKC
- Redeeming the Family on YouTube
- Impact of Redeeming the Family programs
- Redeeming the Family: Blessing Children of Incarcerated Parents (14 minute video reflection, May 2013)
- Mable Bassett Correctional Center
- Positive Tomorrows School in Oklahoma City
- City Rescue Mission of Oklahoma City
- First Presbyterian Church of Edmond, Oklahoma
- Kairos Prison Ministry International
- Shelly Fryer on Twitter: @sfryer
- Wesley Fryer on Twitter: @wfryer
- Wesley Fryer’s Christian blog, “Eyes Right”
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Merry Christmas: Download #playingwithmedia Podcasts Free, Buy eBook 50% off Dec 24 & 25 Only - 2011
- Merry Christmas 2010 from the Fryers - 2010
- Live on Ustream - It's a snowstorm in central Oklahoma - 2009
- Give the gift of family oral history this holiday - 2008
- Podcast105: Thinking Critically About Library and School Technologies - 2006
- Eragon and WikiPedia extended learning - 2006
- Copying iTunes songs, DVD conversion and feeding - 2006