Have you noticed how recently, more advertisement videos in YouTube have started to auto-play without prompting? I’ve noticed this is happening on other websites as well, in addition to YouTube. Since I often seem to have about 50 different tabs open in my web browser, this can present a challenge trying to find WHICH tab has the offending / playing video in it. It’s an irritating and unnecessary problem to tolerate. I needed a way to block these video ads in YouTube and elsewhere.
To address this digital crisis, I installed the free Adblock Plus extension for Google Chrome. AdBlock Video is also available for Firefox. If you’re using another web browser which doesn’t support this kind of extensibility, consider changing. AdBlock works and is great.
Via the May 2012 Lifehacker article, “How to Fix All of Your Biggest YouTube Annoyances: Hide Comments, Turn Off Autoplay, and More.”
Please support my STEM classroom Donor's Choose project: "Applying STEM Skills with Robotic Sphero Balls. Use the promo code INSPIRE at checkout to double your donation (up to $100) thanks to a match from DonorsChoose.org.
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Create a Custom Google Gadget for Blogger or Google Sites - 2012
- 10 Slots Remain for Celebrate Oklahoma Voices Workshop in Yukon: 19-21 Jan 2011 - 2011
- What websites should be whitelisted on school content filters? - 2011
- Oklahoma Political Themes: Fire Rural School Superintendents and Overpaid State Physicians - 2011
- Great first impressions of videoconferencing via Google Chat - 2009
- Discussing the documentary Crystal Darkness at UCO with Oklahoma A+ Schools - 2009
- Join me on Ustream from UCO Tuesday for the Crystal Darkness Documentary Post-Show - 2009
- Response to a newspaper editor, Buddy Pearson, on social networking experiences - 2008
- Stuck in Denver - 2007
- Thoughts on grades, authentic assessment, and measuring learning - 2007