You must watch this video. In it, Ethan Young, a senior at Farragut High School, in Knox County, Tennessee, concisely, cogently, and persuasively explains why the high stakes accountability focus of Common Core is the WRONG path for educational improvement in the United States. I agree with Ethan and applaud his courage as well as insight. This video was recorded at the Knox County School Board Regular Meeting on November 6, 2013, and currently has over 2 million views on YouTube.
Via Marcia Philbrick‘s retweet of Anthony Cody‘s Ed Week Teacher article “Tennessee Student Ethan Young: “We Need Change, But Not Common Core.”
There are some good ideas in Common Core State Standards, but the continued focus on high stakes accountability is “more of the same” from the team which brought use the train wrecks of Race to the Top (RTTT) and No Child Left Behind (NCLB). Ethan is exactly right: We need educational change, but not the change endorsed by the supporters of our educational status quo. We need to change tracks.
As an aside: I’m betting Ethan has been on his debate team in high school! Well spoken, Ethan.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Pooh's Special Friend Week: VoiceThread and YouTube on an iPad - 2011
- Donate to the Red Cross for Haiti Relief - Be wise and tech saavy - 2010
- Lecturecasting on a Shoestring with a Macbook, Ustream, CamTwist, MPEG Streamclip and Blip.tv - 2010
- Federal or State Responsibility for Education and Inequitable Education Funding Formulas - 2009
- Organizer Mac software, California Dreamin' (MacWorld08) - 2008
- Gang signed vandalism at my Oklahoma City parking garage last night - 2008
- Verify software is reputable and malware free before downloading - 2008
- Last 2 blogs moved to Siteground! - 2008
- Addressing the lurkers - 2007
- Cold day in Colorado - 2007