You must watch this video. In it, Ethan Young, a senior at Farragut High School, in Knox County, Tennessee, concisely, cogently, and persuasively explains why the high stakes accountability focus of Common Core is the WRONG path for educational improvement in the United States. I agree with Ethan and applaud his courage as well as insight. This video was recorded at the Knox County School Board Regular Meeting on November 6, 2013, and currently has over 2 million views on YouTube.
Via Marcia Philbrick‘s retweet of Anthony Cody‘s Ed Week Teacher article “Tennessee Student Ethan Young: “We Need Change, But Not Common Core.”
There are some good ideas in Common Core State Standards, but the continued focus on high stakes accountability is “more of the same” from the team which brought use the train wrecks of Race to the Top (RTTT) and No Child Left Behind (NCLB). Ethan is exactly right: We need educational change, but not the change endorsed by the supporters of our educational status quo. We need to change tracks.
As an aside: I’m betting Ethan has been on his debate team in high school! Well spoken, Ethan.
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Pooh's Special Friend Week: VoiceThread and YouTube on an iPad - 2011
- Donate to the Red Cross for Haiti Relief - Be wise and tech saavy - 2010
- Lecturecasting on a Shoestring with a Macbook, Ustream, CamTwist, MPEG Streamclip and Blip.tv - 2010
- Federal or State Responsibility for Education and Inequitable Education Funding Formulas - 2009
- Organizer Mac software, California Dreamin' (MacWorld08) - 2008
- Gang signed vandalism at my Oklahoma City parking garage last night - 2008
- Verify software is reputable and malware free before downloading - 2008
- Last 2 blogs moved to Siteground! - 2008
- Addressing the lurkers - 2007
- Cold day in Colorado - 2007