I answered a question for one of our teachers today at school and emailed this to our entire staff in case it’s of interest. Here’s a slightly modified version of what I shared via email:
With more wifi devices than ever and kids getting online (sometimes) in their bedrooms and not just in “the family room” on “the family computer,” it’s a good idea to put at least a basic layer of web filtering in place for protection to block pornography at home. Our family has used OpenDNS for the past 5 or so years, first as a free service (which works great) and now for $20 per year so we can see stats/reports on access. You configure your home Internet router (in the same way you can change the name of your wifi network or change your password) to set this up. More info is on:
I have some older posts about this if you want to read more:
- Home Internet Content filtering needs: Solved with OpenDNS (January 2008)
- The Value of OpenDNS (free) content filtering at home (March 2008)
- Configuring FREE Home Content Filtering with OpenDNS (June 2011)
There are NO guarantees when it comes to Internet content filtering at school or home, but it can be good to have something in place… and free is always a good price. I first learned about OpenDNS at the Apple Store, because they were using it (at the time) to block Facebook.
Check out Wesley's new ebook, "Mapping Media to the Common Core: Volume I." (2013) It's $15!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Amazing Minecraft Webshows, Music Videos and Parody Animation Videos - 2013
- Trapper's Rendezvous 2012: An iPhone documentary - 2012
- Recoverable and Resumable YouTube Uploads with Chrome and FireFox - 2012
- 7th Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, Bushwhackers, and Jayhawkers (Kansas in 1861 - 1865) - 2012
- Retrain, Retire or Resign: Options for Adult Paradigm Paralysis - 2011
- First XtraNormal Video: MySpace Suicide Prevention - 2011
- Netflix streaming coming to the Nintendo Wii - 2010
- Preparing for digital storytelling workshops (Celebrate Oklahoma Voices) - 2009
- ISTEconnects Blog - The Conversations Begin - 2009
- Content filtering and packet shaping going mainstream? - 2008