The past few years I’ve enjoyed opportunities to work intensively with Montana teachers through summer professional development institutes offered at the University of Montana as well as courses I’ve taught over videoconferences bridged by VisionNet. Western Montana CSPD and Nancy Marks have been the primary catalysts for these learning opportunities. Both of my past courses have been offered for graduate credit through the University of Montana, and have focused on the first six media products in the “Mapping Media to the Common Core” digital literacy framework: Interactive Writing, Narrated Art, Five Photo Stories, Radio Shows, Visual Notetaking, and Narrated Slideshows / Screencasts. I’m pleased to announce that this semester I’ll be offering “Part 2″ of Mapping Media for the first time as a seven part course, again via Montana CSPD and the University of Montana. This second part will focus on three more media products, which are more involved than the first six in several ways. The media products are: Quick Edit Videos, Multimedia/enhanced eBooks, and Simulations or Games.
by Wesley Fryer
Whether or not you live in Montana, you can join us via H.323 videoconferencing for this seven part course. We meet every two weeks for an hour and a half after school on Thursdays. Specifically: 4:30-6:00 pm (Mountain) | 3:30-5:00 pm (Pacific) | 5:30-7:00 pm (Central) | 6:30-8:00 pm (Eastern). Our meeting dates for the course will be:
- Feb 27 Introduction
- March 6 & 27: Quick Edit Videos
- April 10 & 24 : E-Books
- May 8 & 22: Simulations or Games
Registration is discounted to $160 per person or $125 for groups of 2 or more if you register by February 17th. Visit the Western Montana CSPD website for complete details. We’d love to have educators from other states in addition to Montana join us for this fantastic course! Specifically, I’d love for YOU to join us!
by Wesley Fryer
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Online Petition: Oklahoma City Public Schools Must Adopt Balanced Internet Content Filtering Policies - 2012
- 5th Graders Develop Problem Solving Skills with Lego WeDo Robotics - 2012
- Set Up a Moderated Class Blog on Posterous - 2011
- Beware of Inappropriate Ads on Free Classroom Websites - 2011
- Podcast371: Cartooning Around in Language Arts by Malia Triggs - 2011
- Favorite photos and videos from METC 2010 - 2010
- Planning outline for METC 2010 keynote - 2010
- Scan at higher resolutions with Preview on your Mac - 2010
- PollEverywhere grappling with Monetization and Free Educator Plans - 2010
- Using Skype to Collaborate (Classroom 2.0 Live this Saturday morning) - 2009