This week my 4th and 5th grade STEM students are starting a two week unit on rocketry, spacecraft design and astronomical engineering. If that sounds too grandiose, here’s a simpler lesson plan explanation: We’re building and launching water bottle rockets using empty 2 liter soda bottles and a borrowed PITSCO “Aquaport II Water Rocket Launcher.” Today I tweeted my PLN for help on iPad apps which students can use which are related to these topics, since (sadly) not all of my student groups have brought 2 liter bottles to modify into water bottle rockets. Here are the 4 apps I’ve installed on our iPad cart and am going to let students experiment, play and build with. These are also available as a printable PDF file.
- Moon Lander by CleverMedia – free
- Autodesk Digital STEAM Applied Mechanics – free
- SimpleRockets – $1
- Rocket Science 101 – free (from NASA)
by Wesley Fryer
I also like the NASA Visualization Explorer app (free) but since it’s not rocketry-specific I left it off this list of four apps.
Many thanks to Autumn Laidler, Tony Vincent, Jon Samuelson, Mark Hammons, Lisa Johnson, Dean Mantz, and Sue Gorman for helping suggest these apps and build this list! Are there any others you’d definitely include on it?
Did you know Wes has published 3 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- Inspired to Dream BIG @NorthwesternU - 2011
- We need more constructive and positive Storychasers in The Age of Humiliation - 2010
- Welcome to OLD School Assignment Turn In - 2010
- Abandoning Juice Receiver - At least for now - 2008
- Beyond the Fear Factor with Internet Safety - 2008
- links for 2008-05-05 - 2008
- A growing global audience - 2008
- A warning that came too late - 2008
- Do you need a Second Life?? - 2007
- Advice to curb wordpress spam? - 2006