This podcast is an interview with Thomas Steele-Maley, the Director of Academic Technology and Innovation for GEMS World Academy – Chicago, discussing mobile digital ethnography, place-based learning, and inquiry learning. GEMS World Academy is launching now (in fall 2014) and this summer elementary students (in grades 5-6) have been participating in inquiry-based ethnographic activities as urban explorers. Students are using a mobile app on iPad Air tablets (Fulcrum) to collect field notes which include text, images, and video. These media artifacts are uploaded to the cloud via the native Fulcrum iOS app with geo-location information. Later, those artifacts can be accessed and shared via KML files opened in Google Earth.
- Thomas Steele-Maley (@steelemaley)
- GEMS World Academy – Chicago (@GWAcademyChi)
- Fulcrum Mobile Apps
- Lakeview Elementary Storychasers (Yukon, OK)
- Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places by John R. Stilgoe
- Google Earth
- About Public Labs
- Hashtag for GEMS World Academy Summer Explorers: #GWAexplore
- Fuel for Educational Change Agents (Wes’ secondary podcast channel)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
Did you know Wes has published 9 eBooks, and 1 of them is available free? Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Common Core / Curriculum."
On this day..
- iPhoneography Light Painting - 2013
- Stories we wish we had recorded or could record - 2010
- Create a free online survey with Google Forms - 2010
- Notes from the RTNDF Multimedia Workshop (Oklahoma) - 2009
- How can I join tonight's skypecast? - 2008
- Central Asia, Oil, Geo-Politics and Smart Playlists - 2008
- Podcast269: Background and Formative Ideas for the Storychasers Project - 2008
- Report from EduComm 2007 - 2007
- Sightspeed VOIP - 2006
- Podcast76: An Interview with Mr. and Mrs. Moodle - 2006