This podcast is an interview with Thomas Steele-Maley, the Director of Academic Technology and Innovation for GEMS World Academy – Chicago, discussing mobile digital ethnography, place-based learning, and inquiry learning. GEMS World Academy is launching now (in fall 2014) and this summer elementary students (in grades 5-6) have been participating in inquiry-based ethnographic activities as urban explorers. Students are using a mobile app on iPad Air tablets (Fulcrum) to collect field notes which include text, images, and video. These media artifacts are uploaded to the cloud via the native Fulcrum iOS app with geo-location information. Later, those artifacts can be accessed and shared via KML files opened in Google Earth.
- Thomas Steele-Maley (@steelemaley)
- GEMS World Academy – Chicago (@GWAcademyChi)
- Fulcrum Mobile Apps
- Lakeview Elementary Storychasers (Yukon, OK)
- Outside Lies Magic: Regaining History and Awareness in Everyday Places by John R. Stilgoe
- Google Earth
- About Public Labs
- Hashtag for GEMS World Academy Summer Explorers: #GWAexplore
- Fuel for Educational Change Agents (Wes’ secondary podcast channel)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcasts!
All past “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” podcast episodes are archived, dating back to August 2005.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- iPhoneography Light Painting - 2013
- Stories we wish we had recorded or could record - 2010
- Create a free online survey with Google Forms - 2010
- Notes from the RTNDF Multimedia Workshop (Oklahoma) - 2009
- How can I join tonight's skypecast? - 2008
- Central Asia, Oil, Geo-Politics and Smart Playlists - 2008
- Podcast269: Background and Formative Ideas for the Storychasers Project - 2008
- Report from EduComm 2007 - 2007
- Sightspeed VOIP - 2006
- Podcast76: An Interview with Mr. and Mrs. Moodle - 2006