Today was the first day of our after-school “Maker’s Club.” Over the weekend I had to make selections from 55 applications, and it was REALLY hard. I decided to have 2 different six week sessions this semester, and originally planned to accept 15 students per session. Last year I accepted 30 students, and that was too many at one time. For a couple reasons, I took 16 students per session, so 32 students were pretty excited yesterday to receive acceptance letters and 23 students were not. I’m going to give priority to the 23 students who applied and were not accepted in January, however, when students can apply for Spring Maker’s Club sessions.
by Wesley Fryer
Last spring I facilitated a STEM unit on “Water Bottle Rockets” for my 4th and 5th graders, and this coming Saturday (at EdCamp Stillwater) I’ll be finally returning the Pitsco launcher which I borrowed from 8th grade science teacher Lisa Seay at EdCamp Tulsa in March. Since I still have the launcher and our days are still warm, I decided we’d build or reconfigure leftover water bottle rockets from last spring and launch them for our first day of Maker’s Club today. It was a lot of fun and I think the kids enjoyed it. Here’s a video of our launches, shot in 60 fps slow motion with my iPhone 5S. I combined the videos in iMovie on the iPhone, exported it to the iPhone camera roll, and then uploaded it with the YouTube Capture app (free) using provided copyright-friendly music. Next week I think students will work in our new Maker Studio!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Screenshot Keyboard Shortcuts - 2018
- iTunes Match: All My Songs Now Available in the iCloud - 2012
- Boatlift: More Rescued by Sea after 9-11 than at Dunkirk - 2011
- Talk with Media: Visual Literacy and Digital Storytelling #learning2cn - 2010
- Three exemplary International Schools in Hong Kong - 2009
- Brightstorm: High school course help on the way - 2008
- The time for economic concern has come (a vast understatement) - 2008
- Financial literacy web tools and curriculum from Shryk - 2008
- Podcast191: Creating globally connected, rigorous and highly motivated assignments by Alan November - 2007
- Troubled by a literacy Google search - 2006