I received some questions from a middle school teacher in Connecticut this weekend about classroom StopMotion projects. He also specifically asked about the tripods we are using for our iPads. This may be helpful to others, so I am sharing my email reply in this post.
We are using the Makayama iPad 2 tripod mount for our green screen station, but it will work for stopmotion too. It works well but if I was ordering another one today I would go for a less expensive clamp based mount that would work with multiple iPad versions. It cost around $70 when I ordered it a few years ago:
For our Lego stopmotion projects this year, we are actually using little stands made with cardboard and duct tape that our awesome art teacher figured out how to make last year. Here is a YouTube video we recorded where she shows how:
This next page tells about the stopmotion app (iStopMotion) we are using currently in our maker studio, and has some other helpful resource links:
Here are a few other past posts from my blog about lessons learned from past stopmotion projects. Both of these are from the spring of 2014:
These are older, from 2010, but may still be helpful:
- Lessons Learned About StopMotion After Arts Academy Day 1
- Lots More StopMotion Fun and Lessons Learned
I hope this is helpful to you, good luck! Are there other specific questions I can answer? Please let me know how things go.
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Marketing Horizontal Drilling for Oil - 2013
- Fun Musical iPad Apps - 2012
- Parent Legislative Action Committee in Oklahoma City on Education Reform: Nov 29, 2012 - 2012
- Connecting Students and Countries: London to Oklahoma with PopUpSchool #cwf2010 #popupschool - 2010
- Opening Ceremony at the 2010 Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Creative Placemaking at the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Sir Ken Robinson, Daniel Pink and David Pogue the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Debating the propriety of blanket censorship by school IT departments - 2009
- Harry Potter Puppet Show on YouTube - 2009
- My young Oklahomans pledge to return in 2052 - 2008