Today at lunch in Philadelphia during the “Hacked Ed” pre-event for ISTE 2015, I had an opportunity to interview Michael Matera (@mrmatera). Michael is presenting two workshops at ISTE this year about gameification. He’s a 6th grade social studies teacher at the University School of Milwaukee, and his classroom website from last year (realmofnobles.com) is totally amazing! It’s an interactive “choose your own adventure” style website built with Hype 3.0 ($49) and amazing digital images he licensed from creators on deviantART. Students use his website to discover and select “challenges” for different classroom projects, as well as bonus activities. I’ve never seen a classroom website quite like this. I also attached Michael’s #hacked15 smackdown presentation to the end of our interview. Michael is doing AMAZING work with his students using gameification concepts! Wow!
by Wesley Fryer
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Interview with Chris Davis on "Journeys in Podcasting" Project - 2015
- Using iPads in the Classroom? Check Out Classkick - 2015
- Visual Notes from Steven Anderson & Kyle Pace's ISTE Session for Administrators - 2013
- Open Educational Resources: Share, Remix, Learn #iste11 - 2011
- Copyright and licensing considerations when importing library audiobooks - 2010
- A great day of conversations at EduBloggerCon09 - 2009
- Leveraging social media tools for social change - 2009
- Wish a particular tool existed? Learn how to get it made! We'll design a tool together - 2009
- EduBloggerCon: Web 2.0 Smackdown - 2009
- A light table, sand, music, tragic history and a phenomenal artist - 2009