This podcast features an audio recording of a presentation by U.S. Park Ranger Creighton Waters on July 1, 2015, at the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. Creighton mainly tells the story of the brief capture of Harpers Ferry in 1862 by Confederate forces led by General Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson. 12,419 Federal troops surrendered to Jackson, which made this the largest surrender of US forces in history until the Battle of Bataan in World War II. Check out the podcast shownotes for links to photos of Harpers Ferry on July 1st as well as other historical links pertaining to the area.
- Flickr set of photos: Harpers Ferry July 1, 2015
- Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (US National Park Service)
- Harpers Ferry NP on Twitter: @harpersferrynps
- Harpers Ferry NP on YouTube: HarpersFerryNPS and HAFEeducation
- Harpers Ferry NP on Instagram: HarpersFerryNPS
- English WikiPedia article: Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
- English WikiPedia article: Stonewall Jackson
- Civil war era music clip included in this podcast: When Johnny Comes Marching Home (downloaded from YouTube with en.savefrom.net)
- This podcast was edited using Audacity and normalized with Auphonic.com
by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide! MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Podcast453: Reflections on ISTE 2017 and iPad Media Camp - Jackson, Wyoming - 2017
- Reflections on ISTE 2015 by Shelly and Wesley Fryer - 2015
- Comparing Free Ways to Privately Share Files with Others Online - 2011
- More Google Translate for Animals Videos - 2010
- Don't be slow getting on the DC metro - 2009
- Closing Keynote at NECC09 by Erin Gruwell (Freedom Writers) - 2009
- Do So Much with an iPod Touch - 2009
- Classsroom 2.0: What Is Web 2.0's Role in Schools? - 2009
- RU In My Space? Y Have A Social Media Policy? - 2009
- 21st-Century Learning: The New Visionary Administrator Speaks Up! - 2009