This podcast features an audio recording of a presentation by U.S. Park Ranger Creighton Waters on July 1, 2015, at the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. Creighton mainly tells the story of the brief capture of Harpers Ferry in 1862 by Confederate forces led by General Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson. 12,419 Federal troops surrendered to Jackson, which made this the largest surrender of US forces in history until the Battle of Bataan in World War II. Check out the podcast shownotes for links to photos of Harpers Ferry on July 1st as well as other historical links pertaining to the area.
- Flickr set of photos: Harpers Ferry July 1, 2015
- Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (US National Park Service)
- Harpers Ferry NP on Twitter: @harpersferrynps
- Harpers Ferry NP on YouTube: HarpersFerryNPS and HAFEeducation
- Harpers Ferry NP on Instagram: HarpersFerryNPS
- English WikiPedia article: Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
- English WikiPedia article: Stonewall Jackson
- Civil war era music clip included in this podcast: When Johnny Comes Marching Home (downloaded from YouTube with en.savefrom.net)
- This podcast was edited using Audacity and normalized with Auphonic.com
by Wesley Fryer
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Podcast453: Reflections on ISTE 2017 and iPad Media Camp - Jackson, Wyoming - 2017
- Reflections on ISTE 2015 by Shelly and Wesley Fryer - 2015
- Comparing Free Ways to Privately Share Files with Others Online - 2011
- More Google Translate for Animals Videos - 2010
- Don't be slow getting on the DC metro - 2009
- Closing Keynote at NECC09 by Erin Gruwell (Freedom Writers) - 2009
- Do So Much with an iPod Touch - 2009
- Classsroom 2.0: What Is Web 2.0's Role in Schools? - 2009
- RU In My Space? Y Have A Social Media Policy? - 2009
- 21st-Century Learning: The New Visionary Administrator Speaks Up! - 2009