This podcast is a presentation by Dan Straughan, executive director of the Oklahoma City Homeless Alliance, shared on Friday, September 25, 2015, at the Friday Morning Mens Group of First Presbyterian Church of Edmond, Oklahoma. For several months, our men’s group has been reading and studying the wonderful book, “Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together” by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. This is an amazing and powerful book, relating the transformational story of how God worked in the lives of a homeless man (Denver) and Ron Hall to give second chances and teach unforgettable life lessons about love, caring, and the value of all human beings. With interest in local homeless issues raised by this book, Dan Straughan was invited to present at our men’s group meeting. The OKC Homeless Alliance is “a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the system of care for the homeless in Oklahoma City through collaboration with government, faith-based and nonprofit service providers. The ultimate goal of the Homeless Alliance is to rally our community to end long-term homelessness in Oklahoma City by both preventing homelessness and increasing the supply of affordable and permanent supportive housing to move those who are currently homeless back into housing.” This 45 minute presentation by Dan provides an important window into the ways outreach ministries and social service groups are seeking to help meet the needs of homeless individuals and families in Oklahoma City. Check the podcast shownotes for links to referenced organizations and other resources including the book, “Same Kind of Different As Me.” Read this powerful book, and get involved in assisting organizations in your community reaching out to the homeless.
- Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
- Oklahoma City Homeless Alliance
- Positive Tomorrows School in Oklahoma City
- Curbside Chronicle of Oklahoma City
- Monarch School in San Diego, California
- City Care of Oklahoma City
- NPR Special Report: Housing FIRST
- City Rescue Mission of Oklahoma City
- First Presbyterian Church of Edmond, Oklahoma
— Wesley Fryer, Ph.D. (@wfryer) July 7, 2015
— Wesley Fryer, Ph.D. (@wfryer) June 6, 2015
Did you know…last year City Care served 89,366 hot meals at the OKC Homeless Day Shelter! http://t.co/zSZgLXVRGO
— City Care, OKC (@CityCareOKC) June 3, 2015
— Ben Felder (@benfelder_okc) July 29, 2015
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Digital Literacy Tips: Strategies for Online Fact Checking - 2016
- Four Upcoming iPad Digital Storytelling Workshops in Oklahoma - 2013
- Oklahoma Innovation Task Force Education Survey - 2013
- Common Core Writing Lesson With AudioBoo: 9/11 Narrated Art - 2012
- A Google Geo-Teacher Learning Day Story: In Tweets - 2011
- Google Earth and Google Maps GTI Workshop (Sep 2011) - 2011
- Google Fusion Tables: Geo-spatially connecting database data - 2011
- Visualizing Data in Google Earth - 2011
- Digital Grounding and loss of Facebook Privileges - 2010
- Follow tonight's Presidential debate on OETA's Political Pulse Blog - 2008