One of our teachers asked me for advice on what hard drive to get at home to backup pictures, documents, music, etc. She has an Apple laptop from school, so if your family has Windows users you might skip the first recommendation and go to the second one. This is what I emailed her.
If you want a less expensive but still good option, a couple weeks ago I purchased a 1 TB Western Digital My Passport Ultra hard drive for $70. Amazon sells this for $66, they also sell another version for $59. It’s best to reformat these drives (they ship formatted as “NTFS”) to the “MacOS Extended” format first. This tutorial explains how.
— Wesley Fryer, Ph.D. (@wfryer) September 13, 2015
You can alternatively go with a cloud-based backup storage option. Carbonite is the one my parents use, but it requires a monthly or annual subscription free. This is the safest option in the event of fire or tornado, since your backup is offsite/in the cloud.
This is a 9 minute video I made a couple weeks ago discussing these and other backup options, which might also be helpful:
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Lesson Cast: Sharing a Class Recording with Minimal Steps - 2020
- Playing BowSpleef with a Friend in Minecraft - 2013
- Learning Cool Things at the 2013 Tulsa Mini Maker Faire - 2013
- HDR iPhoneography at Camp USAFA - 2012
- eBooks The New Normal: how libraries are leveraging the eBook opportunity - 2011
- Reach for the Stars Using Media in Your Classroom - 2011
- YouTube Aggregates Videos Shared on a Blog - 2011
- If you take more Accelerated Reader Tests, I'll give you more cell phone minutes - 2010
- Assignment: Build a personal avatar! - 2010
- Floppy disk, anyone? - 2009