In Oklahoma, our elected officials need our support to pass legislation which will change our tax code and provide adequate funding not only for our public schools but also for a variety of important social services. Our legislative session is almost over, and legislators have not taken steps to address the budget shortfall for next year which is over $1 billion. This shortfall is not entirely due to declining oil and gas prices, it also is happening because our elected officials have not acted to close costly tax loopholes and increase taxes. Many things are worth paying taxes for! This includes high quality PUBLIC schools, as well as a variety of other vital public services.
I recorded and shared several videos today which I am sharing with my elected officials via YouTube and social media, and I encourage you to do the same. It is NOT OK for the Oklahoma legislature to destructively underfund our public schools and vital public services. Speak out, join me in prayer, and take action to change this political morass. We live in a representative democracy. Let’s exercise our rights of speech, assembly, and full participation as citizens in the political process. Let’s transform our Oklahoma political culture together.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Communicating with Elected State Representatives via Social Media - 2016
- Set Your Default YouTube Upload Channel - 2015
- Why Your School Needs a Scratch Club [VIDEO] - 2013
- Help My Son's Debate Teacher Whose Home Was Destroyed by the Moore Tornado - 2013
- Scratch Camp in Edmond, Oklahoma: June 8-9, 2012 - 2012
- iPad Notetaking: NOT Impressed with PaperPort Notes App - 2012
- Passion Projects, Learning and Innovation - 2011
- Dropped iPad - 2010
- Why Storychasing is relevant for all educators - Contextual learning about copyright is important - 2009
- Burning a DVD of a web-based video quick - 2009