In Oklahoma, our elected officials need our support to pass legislation which will change our tax code and provide adequate funding not only for our public schools but also for a variety of important social services. Our legislative session is almost over, and legislators have not taken steps to address the budget shortfall for next year which is over $1 billion. This shortfall is not entirely due to declining oil and gas prices, it also is happening because our elected officials have not acted to close costly tax loopholes and increase taxes. Many things are worth paying taxes for! This includes high quality PUBLIC schools, as well as a variety of other vital public services.
I recorded and shared several videos today which I am sharing with my elected officials via YouTube and social media, and I encourage you to do the same. It is NOT OK for the Oklahoma legislature to destructively underfund our public schools and vital public services. Speak out, join me in prayer, and take action to change this political morass. We live in a representative democracy. Let’s exercise our rights of speech, assembly, and full participation as citizens in the political process. Let’s transform our Oklahoma political culture together.
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard!
If you're trying to listen to a podcast episode and it's not working, check this status page. (Wes is migrating his podcasts to Amazon S3 for hosting.) Remember to follow Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wesley's Facebook pages for "Speed of Creativity Learning" and his eBook, "Playing with Media." Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Mapping Media to the Curriculum."
On this day..
- Communicating with Elected State Representatives via Social Media - 2016
- Set Your Default YouTube Upload Channel - 2015
- Why Your School Needs a Scratch Club [VIDEO] - 2013
- Help My Son's Debate Teacher Whose Home Was Destroyed by the Moore Tornado - 2013
- Scratch Camp in Edmond, Oklahoma: June 8-9, 2012 - 2012
- iPad Notetaking: NOT Impressed with PaperPort Notes App - 2012
- Passion Projects, Learning and Innovation - 2011
- Dropped iPad - 2010
- Why Storychasing is relevant for all educators - Contextual learning about copyright is important - 2009
- Burning a DVD of a web-based video quick - 2009