Yesterday I was able to have a lunch date with one of our kids, and on the drive to and from the restaurant we listened to this extremely important but also distressing podcast. This is from the podcast channel “Reply All,” and the episode is called titled “The Prophet.” So much here is so important for us all to understand, but especially young people as they share information online, meet strangers through dating apps, and live in our digitally connected times which can both be wonderful but also extremely perilous.
As a parent and a teacher, I recommend you listen to this 38 minute podcast first by yourself. Then consider if the age and developmental situation of your child is OK to listen to this together and discuss it. I recommend this only for high school and above. Topics addressed include sexual assault, Internet stalking, the damage wrought by Internet trolls, the potential consequences / perils of speaking out to stop injustice, and more…
Thanks to my friend and colleague Brian Turnbaugh (@wegotwits) for sharing this with me in July 2019.
If you do this, please let me know and how it goes. These kinds of conversations are vital.
"An Important Conversation About Internet Trolls, Sharing Personal Information, Sexual Assault, and More" (CC BY 2.0) by Wesley Fryer
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- Better Remote Learning: Focus on TIME boundaries, Expectations, and Simple Procedures - 2020
- Write Well, Sell Well Conference Sept 21, 2013 in Oklahoma City - 2013
- Hallelujah: Oklahoma Withdraws from Common Core PARCC Testing Consortium - 2013
- iPad Tutorial: Use a Free Amazon Wish List as an Information Trap for Books - 2012
- The Pivot to Personal Digital Learning by Tom Vander Ark #innov8 - 2011
- Why email is NOT good enough for communication today - 2010
- Phenomenal Math Curriculum Makeover Video by Dan Meyer - 2010
- Debunking Myths of SextCasting - 2009
- Podcast322: Powerful Ingredients for Blended Learning (Ingredients 1 - 5) - 2009
- 3 more days to submit for K12Online08! - 2008