Update August 2011: I’m now updating the “Audio” page on PlayingWithMedia.com with audio-related resources.
Creative Commons licenses allow media creators to permit different legal uses of their work under specific conditions. View the “Get Creative” movie on the Learn More page of Creative Commons for detailed background about how this works, when creators choose to “skip the intermediaries.”Â Use the following search resources to locate audio music files you can legally include in your podcasts:
- Creative Commons Audio
- Yahoo Creative Commons Search
- Internet Archive’s Open Source Audio
- OpSound: Open Sound Resource Pool
- CCMixter: Songs licensed for remixing
- The Free Sound Project
- Magnatune: Permits use of audio files in podcasts with attribution
- Penmachine Podcast: Free MP3 Instrumental Songs
- Acid Planet’s free 8 packs of loops (They share a new 8 pack to download for free every week.)
- Hall Davidson’s sound resources shared as a Word document and linked from his Kit Building page.
Â Use CC Publisher to upload and share completed podcasts with a Creative Commons license, using Internet Archive servers, supported by the Open Content Alliance. The following are short audio clips, available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License , which you can include in your own podcasts!
- great.wav by Alexander Fryer
- nice.wav by Alexander Fryer
- latinlead.wav by Wesley Fryer
- Footfalls_Toward_Home.mp3 by Wesley Fryer
If you use any of these audio files in your podcast, please remember to give credit to the author / composer! (That is what the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License requires.) Also, please drop me a line, especially if you use one of Alexander’s songs!