I am not a utopian idealist who believes we as a global society will be able to achieve this vision by our own labors….. but I do think there is a lot of truth to ponder in this thesis: namely that it is counter to an ideal of peaceful conflict resolution to intentionally hide the realities of war from the public.
Going with this line of thinking, the October 2004 lawsuit against the US Pentagon to release photos of US servicemen’s caskets/bodies returning from our ongoing wars in Afghanistan and Iraq is thought provoking and likely well intentioned.
I am thankful I did not live through the 1960s and that entire era of social upheaval– perhaps my views on this would be different if I had lived through those years of seeing our servicemen and women dying in almost realtime on the evening news. Yet I wonder what negative impact a sanitized, censored version of wartime reality can and is having on public opinion and our ongoing commitment to these campaigns. Can we, as a society, enter into an authentic cost-benefit analysis when it comes to a military intervention if we are prohibited by our own government from viewing / confronting the negative “costs” of those endeavors?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, consider subscribing to Wes' free, weekly newsletter. Generally Wes shares a new edition on Monday mornings, and it includes a TIP, a TOOL, a TEXT (article to read) and a TUTORIAL video. You can also check out past editions of Wes' newsletter online free!
Did you know Wes has published several eBooks and "eBook singles?" 1 of them is available free! Check them out! Also visit Wes' subscription-based tutorial VIDEO library supporting technology integrating teachers worldwide!MORE WAYS TO LEARN WITH WES: Do you use a smartphone or tablet? Subscribe to Wes' free magazine "iReading" on Flipboard! Follow Dr. Wesley Fryer on Twitter (@wfryer), Facebook and Google+. Also "like" Wes' Facebook page for "Speed of Creativity Learning". Don't miss Wesley's latest technology integration project, "Show With Media: What Do You Want to CREATE Today?"
On this day..
- iPad Musical Creativity Apps - 2016
- Join K-12 Online Organizers Tomorrow (Sat Oct 5) on Classroom 2.0 Live - 2013
- Roadmap to Blended Learning (October 2013) - 2013
- First Multi-part Video Tutorial with MentorMob: Community Voices Interview Project - 2012
- Contrasting Amazon and Apple's PR Event Style: Bezos v Jobs - 2011
- Touring Australia at the 2010 Shanghai World Expo - 2010
- Considering Somalia's Situation: Rated as the #1 Failed State - 2009
- LAME much easier to install on latest Audacity for Mac - 2009
- Where do you find the time? Shirky's Answer - 2009
- Voicethread about Civil War artifacts in Oklahoma - 2007