an online publishing project, coordinated by the Education Network of Ontario, where writers and readers can interact in a controlled environment. Students write articles and submit them online to the teacher for publication in the project blog. Teachers comment on the students’ writing and if necessary send it back for revision. Students edit/revise their writing and re-submit it to the teacher, until both the teacher and student agree the writing is ready for publication. Only teachers have the authority to publish.
Ontario Blogs is using the free, open-source software program WordPress for their project. Note how teachers have CONTROL over the publication of content in this effort. No one can comment on posts who is not involved and provided with a login. Personally, I prefer moderated public commenting on published student work on blogs, but I think this effort is still undoubtedly commendable. A large number of students, teachers, and schools are involved, and just look at all the GREAT WRITING taking place! I like these similes by Fuchigami:
Love is like odd shapes because its eccentric.
Lights are like electric monkeys they both glow.
Google is like a mongoose with electric legs because theyre both quick and speedy.
Red rooms are like wierd tomato squares there both red, square, and box-shaped.
Great looking project! Go Canadian edubloggers! 🙂
To use the parlance of Cheryl Oakes and her students blogging with the digital social networking tool think.com, consider this an official “put up.” (As opposed to a “put down!”) I also like how the banner at the top of blog pages changes with different pageviews. Very cool. Many faces from Canadian educational system, blogging for a global audience!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Pocket Share Jesus (May 2017) - 2017
- Basic Online Video Editing with YouTube - 2012
- eBook Won't Open in iBooks (Closing & ReOpening an iPad App) - 2012
- FaceTime from the Michigan Avenue Apple Store - 2011
- Using the iReporter Theme on iMovie for iPad - 2011
- Window Washer on a Chicago Skyscraper - 2011
- iPad2 Mobile Interview with iRig Microphone - 2011
- Embedding "non-iframe" versions of Screenr Screencasts on WordPress - 2011
- Best News Apps for the iPad - 2010
- Hobo Signs, Symbols, and Parodied History - 2009