Students generally exhibit high levels of motivation to socially communicate. They like to talk with each other, and in our digital world their desire to communicate often has digital forms. Rather than simply blocking all student access to digital social networking tools, teachers and school administrators should seek powerful tools and environments which permit them to help students SAFELY learn how to use digital social networking tools with local as well as global audiences. Think.com is a free educational service sponsored by the Oracle Educational Foundation. In this skypecast, Maine elementary educator Cheryl Oakes talks about Think.com, the success she and other teachers at Wells Elementary have had using the Think.com environment to help students learn about Internet safety and appropriate digital discourse, and offers recommendations for other educators around the globe who may want to start using Think.com. The service is free, and the opportunities for learning are unlimited.
Program Length: 32 min, 29 sec
File size: 7.8 MB
(Click here to listen to this podcast)
Show notes for this podcast include:
- Cheryl Oakes’ Blog
- School Family Compact for Wells Elementary School (Wells, Maine)
- Oracle Education Foundation
- Screenshots of the Think.com environment
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- "PlanDemic" Disinformation Teachable Moment During COVID-19 - 2020
- Oklahoma Education Budget Cuts Affecting Classen School of Advanced Studies - 2016
- Configure Autoposting to a WordPress Blog from Emails via Posterous - 2011
- A few spots still open for Wednesday's Google Docs Workshop (virtual & F2F) - 2011
- Thinking today's college eTextbooks are cheaper? Maybe not - 2010
- Pleased with VGA-out capabilities of PaperDesk LITE for iPad - 2010
- OU K-20 Center Supports Constructive WebCam Use in Oklahoma Schools - 2009
- Fire teachers at will legislation in Oklahoma vetoed by Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry - 2009
- New Macbook hard drive bliss - 2008
- links for 2008-05-09 - 2008