This interview with NewNet 66 representatives was recorded during the Oklahoma State Superintendent’s Annual Leadership Conference on July 7, 2006 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. School districts face an increasingly complex array of threats to the integrity of their computer networks from global sources. Rural schools, which do not have the financial and personnel resources of larger districts, are particularly challenged to protect servers and client computers on their networks from malware and hacker threats proliferating on a daily basis. InterMapper is a software solution used by NewNet66 to monitor managed switches on school networks to see the threats and bad guys inside and outside school networks. Mike Pennell of NewNet66, an Inter-Local Consortium of Oklahoma K-12 School Districts, discusses ways districts are confronting these threats and tools that can aid in the fight.
Program Length: 25 min, 54 sec
File size: 5.9 MB
(Click here to listen to this podcast)
Show notes for this podcast include:
- NewNet 66: An Inter-Local Consortium of Oklahoma K12 School District
- InterMapper: Network Monitoring and Alerting Software
- NewNet 66 Network Monitoring Examples with InterMapper
- The incorrect way to implement a network in your school (with photos!)
- Network Security for Teachers (PDF from NewNet 66)
- Understanding Spyware (PDF from NewNet 66)
- Tipping Point Intrusion Prevention System
- Graph of network bandwidth utilization (up and down) from InterMapper
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
Technorati Tags: education, podcasting
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- iPhone Apps by Category (July 2013) Shared with ThingLink - 2013
- VERY limited cell phone reception - 2010
- iPhone 2.0 software update successful - at last - 2008
- Looking for a new wrapper or an entirely new sandwich? - 2007
- New tools and TIME - 2007
- Instructional Technology: PASSport II Resources for Oklahoma - 2007
- Congressional leaders forgetting the T in STEM - 2006
- Angus King on 1:1 - 2006
- Hao Wu released - 2006
- Walking amid shadows and light - 2006