The winter ice storm in Oklahoma continued today canceling (again) Frontier airline flights from Denver, so I joined my cousin and a Denver friend in a day of unexpected snow skiing at Copper Mountain. Thankfully, we were able to redeem our Frontier ticket stubs for half-price lift tickets (actually buy 1, get 1 free, but that worked out as half price.)
The weather was bitterly cold most of the day on the mountain, with the temperature hovering between zero and 10 degrees fahrenheit.
That did not stop us from having a great day of skiing, however! I reflected that I had not gone snow skiing since 1995, and given the fact that I’m not in great physical shape right now I was glad to ski the greens and avoid falling down all day! Hot chocolate following our first run of the day never tasted better!
I went to school for four years in Colorado and skied a few times each year, and have been back to the mountains of New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming and the Pacific Northwest a few times since. It was GREAT to be back in the mountains today, and experience the magic of skiing down a slope (in dry and warm clothes, thankfully) as snow softly fell from the sky.
I certainly counted my blessings today. It is a great opportunity to get to go snow skiing… I’m guessing it’s an activity that a relatively small percentage of people on our planet have experienced.
It was also great to enjoy the day without technology, with the exception of my cell phone that let me web-post a few pictures to Flickr early in the day before the battery died. (It didn’t like the cold.) No iPod, no computers or handhelds with WiFi access (although it was available on the mountain.) I love opportunities to get out and experience the majestic wonder of the outdoors. 🙂
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Thoughts on Content Filtering, Parent Education, and School Laptop Initiatives - 2020
- You Must Watch This: We Need Educational Change But Not High Stakes Accountability - 2014
- Pooh's Special Friend Week: VoiceThread and YouTube on an iPad - 2011
- Donate to the Red Cross for Haiti Relief - Be wise and tech saavy - 2010
- Lecturecasting on a Shoestring with a Macbook, Ustream, CamTwist, MPEG Streamclip and Blip.tv - 2010
- Federal or State Responsibility for Education and Inequitable Education Funding Formulas - 2009
- Organizer Mac software, California Dreamin' (MacWorld08) - 2008
- Gang signed vandalism at my Oklahoma City parking garage last night - 2008
- Verify software is reputable and malware free before downloading - 2008
- Last 2 blogs moved to Siteground! - 2008