I was delighted to discover the free software utility program “Prism Video Converter” today for Windows, which can convert Windows Media Video (.wmv) files to QuickTime movie (.mov) formatted files for use in podcast channels. What I do NOT know yet is if the settings I used for encoding and the output size will be compatible on an iPod or iPhone.
Previously I’ve used the free Jodix WMV to iPod converter (which I have linked on my intro to podcasting workshop curriculum) but for some reason, the latest version of the Jodix converter only converted the first seven seconds of the WMV file with which I’m working. Not sure what the problem is, but I’m glad to discover Prism. The same software company that makes Prism offers free Switch software for audio file converting, which I use with my Olympus WS-110 Voice Recorder to convert Windows Media Audio (WMA) files into 32 kbps mp3 files for audio podcasts. Switch is available for both Windows and Macintosh platforms, Prism appears to only be available for Windows.
On the Macintosh side for WMV file converting for podcasts, I like the free program iSquint. I think both iSquint and Prism use the same free encoding tools as ffmpegX, which is another free converter for the Macintosh OS.
[tags]wmv, mov, podcast, podcasting, convert, converter, software, free[/tags]
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Embed Twitter Widget in Dot Net Nuke (DNN) Website - 2015
- Disadvantages of Openly Sharing Media - 2014
- Yukon Students Learning Computer Programming with Scratch - 2013
- Introduction to the Common Core State Standards by Karen Robertson - 2012
- An Iterative Google Search (with advanced options) solves a MS Word File Saving Problem - 2012
- Learning about Glass Blowing in Santa Fe, New Mexico (videos) - 2011
- Good Memories from Denton and UNT - 2011
- Virtual DNA Fingerprinting Lab (1 to 1 Learning in Yarmouth, Maine) - 2011
- Brainstorm & Find Available Websites with DomainStorm - 2011
- Getting Creative with Windows Live Movie Maker on a Netbook - 2010