This podcast is a recording of a conversation on December 5, 2007 with Judy Beaver, director of instructional technology at the Punahou School in Honolulu, Hawaii, about their 1:1 laptop learning initiative. Judy discusses how she utilized research findings from Dr. Robert Marzano’s noted book “Classroom Instruction that Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement” when she made the case to the Punahou leaders for their 1:1 project nine years ago. She also discusses how they have effectively utilized those learning strategies in a digitally immersed environment, empowering key teachers to serve as coaches and models for other teachers as exemplary digital learning facilitators. Project based learning has been a key instructional focus of educators at the Punahou School. Many thanks to both Judy as well as Chris Watson for facilitating this conversation! I was able to meet Judy and Chris when I was in Hawaii last December for our USS Oklahoma Memorial Videoconferencing and Digital Learning Project.
- Punahou School in Honolulu, Hawaii
- “Classroom Instruction that Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement” by Robert J. Marzano, Debra J. Pickering, Jane E. Pollock
- Chris Watson’s blog: Watson Common
- USS Oklahoma Memorial Videoconference (6 Dec 2007)
- Oklahoma World War II Digital Learning Project
- Wes Fryer: The Case for 1:1 Computing in Schools (TCEA 2006)
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
Receive an email alert whenever a new Speed of Creativity podcast is published!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Engaged, Educated and Impressed by the Museum of the Bible in Washington D.C. - 2018
- Upload Videos Using the iPhone YouTube App - 2017
- Book Review: "It's Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens" by danah boyd - 2014
- Interactively Explore Population Pyramids - 2013
- Bark Buddy iOS Game Development Begins with GameSalad - 2012
- Use a cell phone supporting 3 way calling to record audio interviews - 2011
- Create a Moderated Classroom Phonecasting Channel with iPadio - 2011
- Proposed K12 virtual school legislation in Florida a sign of things to come - 2011
- Openness is the only means of doing education - 2010
- What's magical? A bluetooth keyboard and an iPad - 2010