Congrats to Illinois middle school educator Scott Hudson, who at the age of 36 finally received his Eagle Scout award after an appeals process, 18 years after he completed his Eagle Project. In high school living in Germany, Scott had completed his Eagle project but his family moved back to the United States before he could complete his Scoutmaster conference and board of review. Thanks to a series of events, recommendations, assistance from others and a successful appeals process, this 36 year old Illinois teacher is now an Eagle Scout. This is an inspiring story.
Scott has provided a great example of follow-through for his own students as well as others. According to the the July 26, 2008 Belleville News-Democrat (Illinois) newspaper article “Scout’s honor: Man, 36, finally will earn his Eagle award:”
He [Scott Hudson] was teaching math and geography when the subject of scouting came up during a parent-teacher conference. He said a parent told him that there was an appeals process for people like him.
“If I had known before, I would have done it sooner,” he said. “It was a long and complicated process with a lot of documentation and they asked me a lot of questions, but I had all my information, so I was prepared.”
Luckily, he has a mother who insisted he keep all his Scouting stuff.
“We had done so much moving that my mother knew how things get lost,” he said. “I had a special trunk with all the paperwork and mementos.”
He credits his wife, Jennifer, with letting him carry the trunk through several of the couple’s own moves. He also credits his parents, Richard and Rita Hudson, for their support during his Scouting days.
Hudson said he and his wife have adopted a young child from Vietnam, and he wants to set a good example.
“I felt that if I didn’t pursue every possible aspect of this opportunity, I wouldn’t be able to wholeheartedly request that my child finish what he starts,” Hudson said.
Award Winning Educator, looking for Job in Instructional Technology, Eagle Scout
I linked to Scott’s blog from his Twitter profile and found a link to the above news article.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- 4th Grade Virtual Tour of a California Mission in Minecraft - 2013
- Oklahoma STEM Updates from Jeff Downs (August 2012) - 2012
- Identifying Barriers to Creativity in Schools #blackfootETC - 2011
- Online Learning with Montana Digital Academy #blackfootETC - 2011
- Filtering the Information Flood: Strategies for Effectively Teaching Online - 2011
- Dr Tim Tyson on our need for visionary educational leadership - 2010
- Notes from LoTi Administrator Institute led by Dean Mantz (afternoon) - 2009
- Notes from LoTi Administrator Institute led by Dean Mantz (morning) - 2009
- Great day with Oklahoma A+ Schools - 2007
- DOPA actions? - 2006