In December of 2007 a friend of mine was diagnosed with cancer, and spent essentially all of 2008 battling it in a fight for her life. Thankfully, after a bone marrow transplant and a multitude of other treatments, she made it through that dark valley in her life and is doing very well now. This is literally nothing short of a miracle. Throughout her hospital stay, she along with family and friends kept me updated on her status via the free website CaringBridge.
Tonight I visited with another friend who has a parent in intensive care here in Oklahoma City, and he asked about a website he’d heard me talk about for sending out free SMS updates to friends and family. (Textmarks) I recommended that he give CaringBridge a try, not only because it facilitates communication OUT to friends and family, but also because it permits comments and feedback from others. This can be VERY important and meaningful during a difficult time of struggle with health or other issues.
According to the CaringBridge “About Our Service” page:
Every free, personalized CaringBridge website includes:
– Patient care journal to update family and friends
– Guestbook for messages of love
– Photo gallery
– Free online support for using the service
Over 150,000 families have used CaringBridge to date. I think this is a fantastic way web 2.0 technologies can and are being used to bring and keep people closer together. CaringBridge is a good example of a humanizing technology. Family and friends don’t have to visit the CaringBridge website every day to stay up-to-date, the site permits email updates as well.
Are you aware or have you used other websites like CaringBridge to help loved ones stay in touch during a hospitalization or other time of crisis?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Register for iPad Media Camp in Summer 2014 in Illinois, Texas, Kansas & Oklahoma! - 2014
- UCO Dumps Epic One on One Charter School - 2011
- Free Project Gutenberg eBooks Download Directly to Kindle for iPad - 2011
- The Frontiers Beckon (NASA video) - 2011
- Blog posts that hide spoilers - 2010
- Implications of (almost) free online storage for educators and students - 2010
- It's Time for a New Kind Of University - 2009
- A Creative Designer's Solicitation for Employment via StopMotion - 2009
- Gabcast recording auto-post to WordPress.com successful, not with Blogger - 2009
- Learning about Internet safety in Travian - 2008