My eight year old daughter has been working on a biographical book report about Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis. Tonight I helped her digitize her paper-and-pencil timeline with XTimeline and her character map using myWebspiration. Both are free web 2.0 tools I think are wonderful.
Tomorrow we may record a VoiceThread together, using her character map as a storyboard. My biggest headache with these tools was actually printing the myWebspiration document. It kept cutting off the right side of the diagram, even when I moved the items around and resized them.
I published the article “Inspiration Software: An Essential Tool in Every Classroom” in 2002-2003 in TCEA’s TechEdge magazine. I’m delighted that myWebspiration works almost identically to Inspiration client software. The website is still in free beta, and I’d guess before long it will offer some kind of fee-based or subscription-based version.
If you’re interested in free concept mapping software, be sure to check out CMapTools, as well as Frank Pirrone’s presentation for K12Online07 on CMapTools, “Collaborative Concept Mapping – Breaking the Bounds of Location and Time… for $0.00 per Seat.” Freemind is another free concept mapping software program, but I have not used it at all. I’ve only dabbled with CMapTools a bit. I have more links for concept mapping available on delicious.
Have you had good or bad experiences working with either XTimeline or myWebspiration with students?
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- The Mobile Storyteller of North Canton City Schools, Ohio - 2018
- Security, Privacy, and Digital Citizenship (February 2017) - 2018
- Learning at #TXeducamp in Denton, Texas - 2016
- Find & Highlight Duplicates in Excel 2011 for Mac - 2015
- Student Oral Reports with School Hallway Dioramas via AudioBoo - 2013
- Manipulated FoxNews Video Shows Why eBooks are the WRONG Choice for K-12 1:1 Environments - 2011
- Civil War Augmented Reality Project Becomes HistoriQuest - 2011
- Photo memories in an old box - 2010
- WordPress for iPhone 2.2 Even Better - 2010
- Howe Oklahoma Students lead virtual field trip at Fort Smith, Arkansas - 2009