One of the highlights of my day yesterday in Rotorua, New Zealand, was visiting Te Puia and seeing the mud pools as well as geyser basin. This was an introductory “welcome” video I recorded in the morning from my hotel balcony, overlooking part of the crater lake of Rotorua.
I am now COMPLETELY sold on the value and utility of flash-based camcorders. I took 24 video clips (1.5 minutes long and less) at Te Puia, but have not had the time and bandwidth to upload all of them to Flickr yet. I have, however, uploaded my photos from yesterday at Te Puia.
Some daring kids were actually swimming in the pool just below this geyser as it erupted yesterday. We considered joining them, but in the end decided not to. 🙂 This is certainly a scene we wouldn’t see at Yellowstone National Park. The kids were having a GREAT time. What an exciting place to swim!
Here are two videos of the geyser eruption as well as the mud pools at Te Puia.
In addition to seeing geothermal features at Te Puia, we also learned a great deal about Maori culture from our tour guide, including information about Maori traditional woodcarving and weaving.
I hadn’t realized the Maoris were cannibals. I found the history of the Moa in New Zealand particularly interesting this trip. Like the Dodo, the Moa is now an extinct bird. The Maoris ate the moa until it was extinct, however, whereas European visitors were the scourge of the Dodo on Mauritius.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- WordPress OKC February 2017 Learning Points - 2017
- Post an eBook from an iPad to Your Class Blog - 2012
- iPhone Video Edited with Splice - 2011
- Student Presentation on an iPad - 2011
- Brush Up on Modern Physics - Free - 2010
- Can you imagine this much global sharing? - 2010
- Metered, commercial WiFi common in New Zealand - 2009
- Mobile Phone Media Collection and VoiceThread - 2008
- The WOW2 skype/chat is now! - 2007
- Technology in the Schools: Policy, Privacy and Practical Issues for Teachers, IT and Others - 2007