“Indian” Jack Jacobs was a remarkable athlete. Born in Holdenville, Oklahoma in 1919, his exciting passing skills eventually led the Canadian Football League franchise team, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, to build the larger Winnipeg Stadium, now called Canad Inns Stadium. This week in a Celebrate Oklahoma Voices workshop on oral history and digital storytelling, Holdenville teacher Kenneth Ray Orsburn, Jr. created the following 2.5 minute video about Jack Jacobs. It’s a Winnipeg to Oklahoma historical connection. (Darren, I had no idea!)
Find more videos like this on Celebrate Oklahoma Voices!
Prior to seeing this video, the only Indian / Native American professional football player from Oklahoma I had read about was Jim Thorpe. This is a great example of a biography and story which SHOULD be in our Oklahoma textbooks, but isn’t! Now it’s accessible to every learner on the planet, as long as they have Internet access and the domains celebrateoklahoma.us and api.ning.com are not blocked in their location. 🙂
Chalk up another point for the digital witness program of Storychasers and Celebrate Oklahoma Voices. 🙂
history, oklahoma, football, canada, cfl, unitedstates, winnipeg, holdenville
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- The Cognitive Cost of Carbon Copy Email - 2019
- Audience Feedback at iPadPalooza 2016 - 2016
- Seven Indispensable Google Chrome Extensions - 2015
- YouTube Now Supports Creative Commons BY Video Licensing #playingwithmedia - 2011
- Explaining No-Edit Audio Recording Power with an AudioBoo from Pearl Harbor - 2011
- Dreams of Open, Wireless Broadband Access and High Speed Rural Connectivity - 2011
- Online video editing with Kaltura and Stroome - 2010
- Ready to webcast and podcast NECC 2009 and discuss K12Online09 at EduBloggerCon - 2009
- No Partnership for 21st Century Skills Speaker's Bureau Membership for me - 2009
- OKC Bombing, Underground Chinatown in Oklahoma, Veteran Stories, and an Amazing Adoption from Russia - 2009
[…] video to the digital witness scorecard for Storychasers and Celebrate Oklahoma Voices, along with Kenneth Osborn’s video “Indian Jack Jacobs” from this week. (By the way, Regina is an elementary librarian. Woo hoo, let’s hear it for […]
Cool find Wes! The more links between us the better. 😉