The article “Student Sues Coach Over Facebook Message: Teenager Says Coach Invaded Her Privacy” from Jackson, Mississippi, highlights the importance of password security and student privacy in schools.
Several things seem pretty clear here, but apparently were not to the parties involved:
– People should never share their password with others. This includes students sharing their Facebook password with a teacher/coach. Never a good idea.
– People should never solicit someone else’s password from them. Passwords for individual user accounts should be treated as private and confidential.
Are school leaders in your district making plans to encourage campuses to create social media policies in the upcoming school year? While the situation highlighted in this article should have been avoided by common sense on the part of both the student and the teacher/coach, it wasn’t. We need to be having conversations about issues like these in our schools on a regular basis.
The 15 page filed court document is also available from the TV station’s website as a PDF file. This type of news event is yet another example of why we need to take our responsibility seriously as educators to amplify/showcase the constructive uses of digital and social media tools for students. This is a key focus of Storychasers and Celebrate Oklahoma Voices specifically.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Green Screen Videos to Share with Teachers - 2016
- Invite Students to Enter Clean Shorts Film Festival - 2015
- Sheldon Whitehouse responds to Jim Inhofe on Climate Change - 2014
- 2010 K-12 Online Conference Call for Proposals #k12online10 - 2010
- Digital Citizenship in the Cyber Community (free webcast) - 2009
- To succeed we must fail - a LOT - 2009
- Go Green, Go Electric" featuring Miles Electric vehicles wins 1st place - 2009
- Smart Technologies whiteboard software now requires product keys for installation - 2008
- Multiple Intelligences - 2008
- Notes from A Plus Schools Conference Opening Session - 2008