After 28 years of business, Randy’s Music and Movies store on 33rd and Broadway in Edmond, Oklahoma has closed up shop.
Randy’s M & M’s operates three stores in the Edmond-Oklahoma City area. We are the largest and oldest “independent” music and movie store in Oklahoma. We sell compact discs, cassettes, VHS, and DVD movies at everyday discount prices. Our customers enjoy our huge VHS and DVD rental selections and our convenient drive-thru returns.
We started twenty years ago with one “record store” on Broadway in Edmond, Oklahoma, developed a strong following of loyal, local customers, and as they say, the rest is history. Our customers have stayed with us through a devastating fire and fierce competition.
Apparently the store’s recent closure has not triggered a website update, as there is no indication online that the store at 3200 S. Boulevard has closed its doors forever.
I don’t have insider knowledge, but from my vantage point it looks like Randy’s is a local casualty of media convergence. I’d wager that competitive services like Netflix, Redbox, and pay-per-view movies from both Cox Communications as well as AT&T Uverse created an unsustainable economic landscape for Randy’s. This is sad but predictable. Several months ago, our family had a “Jurassic Park” movie marathon, and we turned to Randy’s for movies 2 and 3 which were NOT available via Netflix’s streaming service.
So long, Randy’s. We’ll miss you.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Choose Your Own Adventure YouTube Video: Lessons Learned - 2017
- Moving Students From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-ABLE: Michael Wesch at TEDxKC - 2014
- Left to Their Own Devices - 2013
- Help Shape the Vision of Oklahoma City Public Schools: Sunday August 4th - 2013
- Books on My Wish List Thanks to Bob Sprankle - 2012
- 12 Graphics to Illustrate Mapping Media to the Curriculum - 2012
- The phrase "CIPA compliant content" can be misleading - 2011
- iPad Apps for the classroom #blackfootETC - 2011
- Transformative Personal Connections in a Hyperconnected World #blackfootETC - 2011
- From 671 trains in a day to six: Transformations in travel and learning - 2010
If you’re in a business that delivers a physical product and that product can be delivered digitally (think news, music, books, movies, photos, etc.), it’s time to think about radical changes to your business model or getting into another business.