Here’s a collection of four, short video interviews from this past Wednesday with different school administrators in Hong Kong and from our journey on the MTR (Hong Kong’s subway system) between schools.
In this 40 second clip, Deputy Head of College Peter Lasscock explains “rapid prototyping” and how the technology design lab at Discovery College utilizes it with students. This is the same technology Weta Workshop in New Zealand used to design weapons for the film trilogy “The Lord of the Rings.”
In this 40 second clip, Paul White of the English Schools Foundation in Hong Kong uses a map of the MTR (Hong Kong subway system) to explain our journey across the city from Discovery College (in Discovery Bay) to Renaissance College. This involved a LOT of subway bus changes!
This 53 second clip shows us boarding one of the subways on our journey Wednesday.
In this 1.5 minute clip, Deputy Head of Renaissance College, Dylan Hughes, explains the instructional philosophy of the school’s innovative “Red Door” program, or Creative Media Room. The project utilizes creative/digital arts experts from industry working directly with teachers and nominated groups of students to develop capacity to effectively utilize digital tools in project-based learning. The project’s Ning website is invitation-only. The core services of The Red Door involve:
Work with teachers during the planning of units. Consider and select appropriate digital tools and resources. Plan and organize relevant resources, time frames, and skill workshops. Make and/or locate suitable resources for teachers and students.
IN CLASS SUPPORT
Work with small groups of students to develop core skills and knowledge about digital tools. Develop efficient and effective knowledge transfer practices using a train the trainer model.
Provide ready made workshops for students, teaching staff, support staff and parents. Conduct software research and reviews for new software and hardware items. Share these findings with relevant curriculum leaders and coordinators. Promote sharing of online resources.
@21chk, hongkong, integration, school, schools, technology, video
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Creating a Society6 Store of Digital Photography Products - 2017
- K12 Online Conference Webinar Saturday Sept 19th - 2015
- Minecraft and MinecraftEDU in the Classroom - 2014
- Amazon Isn't a Consumer Electronics Company: It's WalMart Online - 2012
- Rachel Wants to Be a Scientist - 2012
- Notes and finds from #learning2cn Tell a Story in 5 Frames Unconference session - 2010
- The Natives are Getting Restless: Growing Up and Learning in a Web 2.0 World by Robyn Treyvaud - 2009
- Emerging Trends that Redefine Education in the 21st Century by Bruce Dixon - 2009
- An amazing view from school (Discovery College in Hong Kong) - 2009
- Digital Footprints - Digital Dossier - 2009