These are my notes from Milton Chen’s presentation, “The Digital Generation: Up Close and Personal” at the 21st Century Learning @ the West Lake Expo held Oct 31 – Nov 3, 2009 at Xi Hu, China, also known as West Lake. West Lake is in the center of Hangzhou, China, which is about an hour by bus southwest of Shanghai. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
Milton started his presentation with a great introduction and welcome in Mandarin Chinese. The audience was very impressed!
Because we were founded by a filmmaker, we make films about 21st century learning
Today I will show you some films of youth
– 10 multimedia portraits of digital youth, ages 9-18
– digital learning and lifestyles
– film segments, interviews, articles
– youth, parents, teachers
Three themes in these stories
1- students are now able to create content on their own, they are creators
2- they are using digital media to communicate in new ways
3- they are using digital media to teach
This is a fundamental shift for students to become teachers themselves
– in the traditional classroom, the teacher teaches and the students are expected to learn
– you will see in these stories the students are teaching themselves, their friends, and sometimes their teachers and parents
This is a BIG shift for 21st century learning
Now we are going to see some sections from 3 different students
First one is Dana, age 9, from Maryland in the USA
Next will be Virginia who is 14 from Georgia, lives in a more rural area
THIS IS A STUDENT OF VICKI DAVIS! WOO HOO! GO VICKI! (AS A RELATED ASIDE, ALL BLOGGER.COM WEBSITES ARE BLOCKED HERE IN CHINA, SO VICKI’S COOL CAT TEACHER BLOG IS BLOCKED UNLESS YOU USE A PROXY SERVICE LIKE PROXIFY.)
In this study we thought the oldest students would be the most interesting to watch
– we learned the age 11-13 students are the most interesting, they are the ones who have always used digital media
– sometimes the 13 year olds are doing things we thought just 16 year olds were doing
In America many kids have more access to technology OUTSIDE their school than they do inside
1- new youth roles: creating, collaborating, teaching
2- importance of adults and family context: parents, educators
3- new learning environments: online, after-school, redesigned schools
4- new “learning day, “anytime, anywhere, 24/7
sometimes we hear about these “digital natives” and get the idea that they are all doing these digital things completely on their own
digital natives are actually supported by their parents and other adults who provide these opportunities for them
this is leading us to think about a new learning day, where learning can happen at any time, and with anyone
In the future we are hoping to do some international portraits of students
We are very interested in how American students are using the Internet to connect with others internationally to support their own learning, language learning, etc.
Some of these videos are being used for teaching within colleges of education
I THINK IT WOULD BE GREAT TO INTEGRATE THESE VIDEOS INTO THE PRE-SERVICE CLASSES I’M TEACHING IN THE SPRING FOR UCO IN EDMOND. HAT TIP TO CHRIS WALSH, WHO I THINK LED THIS VIDEO PRODUCTION EFFORT FOR GLEF.
Question from the audience: How did you choose which students to feature?
Answer: GLEF setup a contest and asked students to submit 2 minutes
criteria: are these students doing interesting things with digital media?
– wanted diversity: 5 boys, 5 girls, different regions of the US, both urban and rural areas
Milton will leave some copies of the DVD with the Chinese universities represented here
GOOD NEWS IS THE EDUTOPIA WEBSITE AND VIDEOS ARE ACCESSIBLE AND NOT BLOCKED HERE IN CHINA!
Samantha (Sam) is another person featured, she is 13, she likes to play videogames like World of Warcraft
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Don't Get Tricked Online - A Media Literacy Lesson - 2019
- Amazed by Edgar's Design Creativity in Minecraft - 2014
- Photographic Highlights and Mapping Media Learning from NW Illinois - 2013
- Innovative Learning Institute in Norman: Nov 6, 2012 - 2012
- Digital Magazines: Text Plus Multimedia - 2011
- When Parents Don't Want Student Email - 2011
- Mirroring an iPad with iOS 5 & Apple TV - 2011
- Platforms for Interactively Sharing Student Work - 2010
- AudioBoo provides a great opportunity to record and share holiday memories - 2010
- The Research on Teaching Animation Design Art by Yang Huansong - 2009