Our 15 year old babysitter recently showed my kids the YouTube video, Potter Puppet Pals in “The Mysterious Ticking Noise.”
This 2 minute and 6 second video has had over 71 million views to date. If your students have access at home to YouTube, chances are good many of them have seen this. My 11 year old now has part of this tune as a ringtone on his cell phone.
Isn’t it amazing we live in a day when someone can ask us, “Have you seen the Harry Potter puppet video?” and after a quick Google search we’re watching that video?
I explained to my six year old tonight at dinner that when I was growing up, we didn’t have access to YouTube or to the Internet. Her response was telling about her perceptions of media. She asked:
You mean you didn’t have any TV?
It’s a digital generation. Check out the Harry Potter Puppet Show on YouTube if you have not already. I wonder how many t-shirts the creators have sold as a result of this viral video, and how many advertisting dollars they’ve made? I bet it’s quite a few.
Neil Cicierega is the creator of “The Mysterious Ticking Noise” video, which (according to the English WikiPedia) is the 21st most viewed video on YouTube, ever. Way to go, Neil. Neil is also the inventor of “Animutation:”
Animutation features arbitrary, nonsensical scenes and pop culture imagery, are typically set to novelty or foreign music, often Japanese. Most of his [Neil’s] early Animutations used music from the original Japanese version of Pokémon.
Hat Tip to our 15 year old babysitter, for the heads up on this viral video. 🙂
Check out more of Neil Cicierega’s digital creativity by subscribing to one or more of his five YouTube channels.
video, viral, youtube, harry, potter, puppet, show, popular
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Updating My Food Blog: Cook with Wes! - 2021
- Stopmotion Project Tips & Advice - 2014
- Marketing Horizontal Drilling for Oil - 2013
- Fun Musical iPad Apps - 2012
- Parent Legislative Action Committee in Oklahoma City on Education Reform: Nov 29, 2012 - 2012
- Connecting Students and Countries: London to Oklahoma with PopUpSchool #cwf2010 #popupschool - 2010
- Opening Ceremony at the 2010 Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Creative Placemaking at the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Sir Ken Robinson, Daniel Pink and David Pogue the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Debating the propriety of blanket censorship by school IT departments - 2009