The Oklahoma State Department of Education announced last week via a letter to superintendents in our state a “1:1 Digital Classroom Project Applicant’s Leadership Conference” scheduled for Monday, November 30, 2009. The conference will be held at Metro Technology Center in Oklahoma City, and registration is open for three individuals per eligible site on the SDE Conferences website.
According to the letter from Oklahoma State Superintendent Sandy Garrett:
Title II, Part D, Enhancing Education Through Technology, has received funds as a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA). These funds will be allocated through a competitive grant process. It is my hope this process will result in the transformation of classrooms around the state, with a focus on 1:1 learning environments in our middle and junior high schools.
To support the application process, the Oklahoma State Department of Education (SDE), in partnership with Anytime Anywhere Learning Foundation, will host the 1:1 Digital Classroom Project Applicant’s Leadership Conference, Monday, November 30, 2009, at Metro Technology Center, 1900 Springlake Drive, Oklahoma City. This conference will provide an in-person opportunity to ask questions of SDE education technology staff to assist potential applicants in clarifying their understanding of the scope and nature of the work required in this application. The conference is open to eligible applicants defined as a local educational agency (LEA) that serves eighth-grade students at a school site with at least 50 percent of children that qualify for Free or Reduced School Lunch Programs as identified by the October 1, 2008, child count.
This grant initiative promises to provide much needed funding and incentives to help Oklahoma school leaders equip educators as well as students with the skills and tools needed for success in the 21st century learning environment. Kudos to our state educational leaders for launching this initiative. We need 1:1 learning environments in all our schools, so it will be exciting to see which school district and campus leaders in our state step forward to embrace the opportunities offered by this grant initiative.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- New Snow Day iMovie Trailer Video - 2014
- Identity, Bias, Differences and Change - 2014
- Share Your Ideas: Platforms for Publishing #globaled10 - 2010
- Privacy Implications of your Social Graph on Facebook #cwf2010 - 2010
- Advice for Parents: How to Encourage Creativity in Your Child #cwf2010 - 2010
- Amazing iPad Digital Drawings at the Creativity World Forum #cwf2010 - 2010
- Legos, Creativity, and the Oklahoma City Lego Store - 2010
- Are We Ready to Innovate? Closing Creativity World Forum Session #cwf2010 - 2010
- imagination conversations: a project of the Lincoln Center Institute #cwf2010 - 2010
- The Power of Deep Structure by Andrew Zolli #cwf2010 - 2010