Cyberbullying hit home just before Christmas at my son’s school in Oklahoma City, and that news made headlines this week on NewsOK. We need to be discussing cyberbullying and highlighting the power of our words to build up or tear down others constantly, with learners of all ages. Our family’s experiences with a viral YouTube video last fall certainly made this need clearer than ever to all of us.
The recently released video, “RE: Cry of the Dolphins,” is a clever and thought-provoking anti-cyberbullying effort by Google/YouTube, the National Crime Prevention Council and Saatchi & Saatchi. Watch closely, you’ll probably be surprised what happens.
“Think before you comment” is a slogan many more web users need to take to heart. Circle of Respect is:
…the National Crime Prevention Council’s (NCPC) latest and most comprehensive campaign to protect youth from bullying and cyberbullying. Launching in October , the campaign seeks to change the commonly held belief that bullying is a rite of passage, and teaches instead that such behavior is unacceptable through a positive, pro-social message that encourages respect and consideration for others. To succeed in its mission, the Circle of Respect will feature an education campaign, outreach materials including publications and public service advertising, and partnership efforts to reach a national audience.
This video (RE: Cry of the Dolphins) is one of the Circle of Respect project’s outreach videos. Kudos to the authors and producers.
H/T to Melodie Fulmer of the Oklahoma State Department of Education (21st Century Schools Program) for alerting me to this video.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- 10 Things I Learned Teaching A Full Day iPad Workshop - 2015
- Thanks OKeducationTruths (Rick Cobb) For Your Courage & Leadership - 2015
- Documenting the 2014 Trapper's Rendezvous with iPhone Video - 2014
- Lessons Learned Using Puppet Pals on iPads in an After School Program - 2012
- What's So Common About Common Core? - 2012
- Classroom Management, Effective Instruction, and Student Motivation by Mark Mcleod - 2012
- A Call to Increase the Volume of our Profession in Educational Politics - 2012
- The Best Political Spin Money Can Buy - 2012
- Averting USB Famines - 2011
- 27080 views in 2009 on SlideShare - 2010