On January 28, 2010, a group of students in grades 5-12 from Van Meter, Iowa, shared testimonies for the Iowa House/Senate Education Appropriations Committee about 21st Century Learning and the way learners can be empowered with digital tools. This podcast is an audio recording of a skype conversation with Deron Durflinger, secondary principal of Van Meter schools, and John C. Carver, superintendent of schools in Van Meter. Deron and John skyped in to a full day workshop just outside St Paul, Minnesota, which I was facilitating for CASTLE (The UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education.) These Van Meter students got the attention of Iowa legislators last Thursday, who need to understand the power and potential of 1:1, blended learning. In this podcast, Deron and John share part of the story of 1:1 learning in Van Meter and their administrative vision for transformed learning in the 21st century.
- I Witnessed History Today – blog post of principal Deron Durflinger about the student presentation on 28 Jan 2010 for Iowa legislators
- The Think, Lead, Serve Wiki – Van Meter website about the 28 Jan 2010 Iowa legislature event
- Blog of Deron Durflinger (Principal of Van Meter Secondary Schools)
- Blog of John C Carver (Superintendent of Van Meter Schools, Iowa)
- Blog of the Van Meter Schools Elementary Library
- 1:1 Schools Team Blog
- Iowa 1:1 Schools Blog
- 1:1 Iowa Schools Wiki
- Van Meter Schools Central Wiki
- John C Carver on Twitter: @johnccarver
- Deron Durflinger on Twitter: @derondurflinger
- Dillon’s Rule in Iowa (English WikiPedia)
- Westside Community Schools (Omaha, Nebraska)
- Skype (English WikiPedia)
- Around the World with Skype by Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano (K12Online09)
- Alrededor del Mundo con Skype by Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano (K12Online09)
- Video-Conferencing It’s Easy, Free and Powerful by Brian Crosby (K12Online08)
- UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), Iowa State University
- Our workshop curriculum links today
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Synchronizing Lecture Audio to Slides for YouTube - 2020
- Batting 1-1 With Three More Pitches Coming - 2016
- Student iPad Radio Shows Shared on YouTube - 2015
- Spots Still Available for Google Summit in OKC: Feb 21-22 - 2015
- Use Digital Voice Recorders to Hear Student Voices - 2012
- Stuff I Want to Share at OTA - Encyclo-Media 2012 - 2012
- Rupert Murdoch's Vision is Wrong - 2011
- Creation Requires Influence: Understanding Remix Power in Star Wars - 2011
- Student voices in the Iowa legislature - 2010
- How to Create a Great PowerPoint Without Breaking the Law: Take 2.0 by Alvin Trusty - 2009