Sarah [my 9 year old 4th grader] created the following digital story today before school using VoiceThread about the book, “Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief.” She role-played Annabeth Chase in a video we shot last Wednesday in St Louis using my iPhone. This is the first VoiceThread we’ve created which includes an embedded video and not just still images. Several of the photos in this VoiceThread were created using the $3 iPhone application Pano. She was required by her teacher to create some type of supplementary “teaser” about the book, which she also wrote about in a traditional book report she’s turning in today at school. All of the photos we used, with the exception of the book cover and movie poster, are included in this Flickr set.
If you’ve seen the movie version of The Lightning Thief, you know the writers changed the plot so Percy, Annabeth and Grover visit Nashville instead of St Louis. Sarah and I were VERY disappointed at this theatrical setting and plot change, since the scene at the St Louis arch was one of our favorites!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Lessons Learned as a School Director of Technology - 2019
- Narrated Sketchnote on Mindfulness and Resiliency - 2016
- Classroom Creativity: The Longer Path to Success - 2016
- 5 Hours of Professional Development Podcasts from Yukon Today - 2013
- Student Storychasers Begin Work at Skyview Elementary in Yukon, Oklahoma - 2012
- Think Differently and Support AutismOklahoma.org - 2012
- Why I Upgraded my EduBlogs Account - 2011
- Sometimes our toughest teachers prepare us the best - 2011
- Communication in the Digital Age (via ShareTabs) - 2010
- Sir Ken Robinson on Creativity and Transforming our Schools (ITSC 2009) - 2009