Classen SAS, the public magnet school my oldest child attends in Oklahoma City, has some new portable classrooms because of the much-needed MAPS improvements getting underway.
This morning as I dropped off my son for school, we noticed some new graffiti on the side of the eastern-most portable.
I do not know enough to say if this is gang graffiti or not. There has been an increase in gang related violence in Muskogee recently, and gangs remain (from what I’m told and read) very powerful in parts of Oklahoma City. I live in a bubble in many ways in Edmond. Like so many families, we live in the suburbs where we perceive ourselves sheltered from many of the issues and challenges which surround more impoverished communities. This morning is a reminder of voices in our school community that want to find means for expression. I am not sure what they are saying, but I do think it’s a good idea to pay attention.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad. Photos taken with an iPhone and uploaded to Flickr via Pixelpipe.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Comparing Risks and Benefits of a PreTeen YouTube Channel - 2016
- A Touching Sign Language Performance of David Phelps: No More Night - 2012
- Using iPadio to Create a Final Exam Study Guide Phonecast - 2011
- What I Hope You Learned (A Technology 4 Teachers Pecha Kutcha Presentation) - 2010
- Day 2 of SMART Notebook training at CSD - 2009
- Visualizing Progress - 2009
- The Mac Jedi's Homebrew Mobile Commander - 2008
- Accordent product solutions for lecture capture - 2008
- links for 2008-04-28 - 2008
- Digital archive resources - 2006