These are my notes from Kristy Lovett (teaches HS Art 1-4) and Erica Carey‘s (HS consumer science) afternoon presentation at the Crescent Public Schools‘ 1:1 learning conference on 4 June 2010. The title of his session was, “Cross-Curricular Teaching (Electives/Core) in a 1:1 Environment.” MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.
MY ASIDE: THE STORYCHASERS MOBILE LEARNING TEAM BLOG IS A PLACE FOR EDUCATORS IN 1:1 SETTINGS TO SHARE IDEAS.
Don’t just tell kids to go research online about a topic
Kids need to find the difference between reliable
– Example: Tree Octopus
I have a facebook page (which is blocked at school) for feedback for parents and students
– can give extra credit if parents will email
– need laptop guidelines: we have those in every class
– consistent rules, and consistent consequences
– start with a plan
— course outlines
— PASS footprints
Make your lesson plans digital! Don’t be intimidated! You can do it!
Create a visual learning environment
– words can only recall images we’ve seen before! Use lots of images
3 biggest mistakes teachers make when using technology in the classroom
1. Technology is not used in a focused manner
2. Technology is the focus
“You call this a multimedia production? This is a slide projector and a bed sheet!” – Archibald Asparagus
3. Inadequate planning (have a plan, make sure your sites are open at school)
Don’t re-invent the wheel!
– so much information is out there!
– search for it!
– find a forum for teachers of your subject to get ideas
http://arted20.ning.com great for art teachers
– members here from all over the world
– I am working with a teacher in China now to send them some of our artwork, and they are going to send us theirs
– We are working with a classroom in Germany thanks to a German exchange student we had last year
Also we have a 1:1 Ning for Oklahoma schools
MY ASIDE: OF COURSE IT’S CLOSED/PRIVATE, SO NO ONE OUTSIDE THE ARRA GRANTEE GROUP CAN SEE ANY OF THE CONVERSATIONS HAPPENING THERE…
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Bernie Sanders Explains Progressivism in the new Democratic Party - 2017
- Native American Independent Films - 2012
- Configuring FREE Home Content Filtering with OpenDNS - 2011
- Digital Gems in a Local Pawn Shop - 2011
- Wired in digital bits for $5 per issue? No thanks - 2010
- Cross-Curricular Teaching (Electives/Core) in a 1:1 Environment - 2010
- From Lesson Plans to Online Curriculum by Jim Askew #ok1to1 (Amazing open Chemistry curriculum) - 2010
- Teaching English in a 1:1 Classroom by Julie Cook #ok1to1 - 2010
- Jim Askew on Individualized Online Curriculum and Transforming Learning #ok1to1 - 2010
- Welcome to Crescent PS: Teaching in a 1:1 Laptop Environment #ok1to1 - 2010