This podcast is a recording of a presentation by Steve Wyckoff at the June 2, 2010 iConnect, iLearn Conference in Colby, Kansas. The title of Steve’s session was, “Crisis in the School: Redesigning the Delivery Model.” Steve relates how ESSDACK (The Educational Services and Staff Development Association of Central Kansas) hosted a summit last April for schools to study different alternatives for redesigning educational models focusing on project-based learning. I titled my text notes from Steve’s presentation, “Helping kids connect to their passions and become remarkable: SAVING money shifting to Project Based Learning.” Educators in Erie, Kansas, (USD 101) have found that by shifting to a project-based learning model students can be more engaged in their learning, while teachers shift their roles to be the “facilitators” rather than just the “deliverers” of the curriculum. This model can prove LESS expensive than the traditional school staffing model. Steve explains how.
- Steve Wyckoff’s blog: What’s Become Clear – Real School Change: Questioning Assumptions About Education
- Post by Steve: Educational Reform: Are We Wasting A Good Crisis
- April 2009 ESSDACK summit: “Crisis in the Classroom: Turning Crisis into Opportunity for K-12 education“
- My text notes from this session: “Helping kids connect to their passions and become remarkable: SAVING money shifting to Project Based Learning” (includes Ustream video of the presentation)
- iConnect iLearn Conference Ning
Subscribe to “Moving at the Speed of Creativity” weekly podcasts!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Visualizing Inside and Outside Sharing - 2016
- Digital Neighborhood Watch (Nextdoor.com) & Model Use of Twitter by Local Police - 2015
- How to Archive a KidBlog Website - 2014
- What We Can Learn from Oklahoma's Repeal of Common Core - 2014
- Fun with Visual Charades and Narrated Slideshows Based on Fairy Tales - 2012
- Resources for Students Developing Mobile Apps #edapp - 2011
- Yesvideo.com converts analog media to digital - 2010
- Flickr now displays video formatted for #ipad - 2010
- Preparing for a week of Travian sitting - 2009
- Public Service Announcements To Combat Meth - 2009