As a third grade student in Maine, Sophie Towle became motivated to do something about our environment and recycling. As a result of her work with others in her community of South Berwick, the school district now recycles milk cartons and other organizations have taken notice. Sophie presented recently at a school cafeteria conference in Las Vegas. In this interview, she tells part of her story. She is an inspiration! We need to encourage Sophie and others like her who are not content to simply watch the news: Instead they MAKE the news by finding constructive ways to promote local change in the community.
Read more about Sophie’s environmental advocacy in the February 2009 Seacoastonline.com article, “Student touts recycle mindset.” The April 2008 BioCycle magazine article, “Cafeteria Composting In Southern Maine,” unfortunately requires a subscription login to view.
I interviewed Sophie earlier this month when my daughter and I visited South Berwick to stay with friends. Sophie won the “MEGAT 2009 Distinguished Student Award” for her environmental advocacy work. Sophie and her mom have been local champions of the “Nike Reuse a Shoe Program” and were recognized for their work in August 2009.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- 10 Things I Learned Visiting Egypt - 2017
- An Invitation: Share #BobTaughtMe - 2015
- Results of Grade 4-5 Interactive Writing School Survey (Oct 2014) - 2014
- Introduce Students to Coding with Hopscotch for iPad - 2013
- Basic, Intermediate and Advanced MinecraftEDU Challenges - 2013
- Adding a Flickr Contact on Apple TV - 2010
- Professional Portfolio and Resume Ideas - 2010
- Share the gift of Doodle this holiday season - for FREE! - 2008
- Movie trailers for books - Too bad they are not cross-platform compatible or published to permit feedback - 2008
- USS Oklahoma Memorial Dedication - 2007