In this 5 min, 23 sec video, Abbie (a high school student in Yarmouth, Maine) explains how students in her class are using cameras, PhotoShop, and a Ning website to engage in a collaborative project with a partner classroom in China. Melissa Noack is the Yarmouth art teacher who designed and is facilitating this project in Yarmouth.
Access the Yarmouth student Art Ning on http://yhsartdept.ning.com. Melissa uses a Google Site to post assignments, provide curriculum links for students, and serve as a learning portal for many of the resources students use to support their learning both inside and outside of class. In the video, it’s very interesting to hear Abbie contrast the technology use of the Maine students to the students in Beijing.
Yarmouth has been engaged in a 1 to 1 laptop learning program, as part of the Maine Learning Technology Initiative, for the past eight years. For additional background, be sure to see my December 4th post and video, “Technology Integrators are essential for 1 to 1 Laptop Learning and Technology Immersion.” Both of these videos were among several I took following the 2010 Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference in Manchester, New Hampshire a few weeks ago. My daughter, Sarah, and I were fortunate to be included in a tour of Yarmouth High School led by students primarily for an international delegation from Sweden which is considering a similar initiative to MLTI.
Kudos to Abbie and her teacher, Melissa Noack, for their fantastic work collaboratively learning about art and culture – AND their willingness to share their lessons learned with the rest of the world!
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Things I'm Learning about HDMI Cables - 2017
- Selectively Auto-Sync Local Files to Google Drive - 2016
- iOS Movie App Recommendations from Tim Tyson #edapp - 2010
- 365 Photo Blog: Posterous, WordPress or just Flickr? - 2010
- A Lesson Idea About Our Inherent Value as Human Beings - 2010
- Linda Darling-Hammond has my vote for SOE - 2008
- Watching graph scales during our ice storm - 2007
- No sidetrips for learning today - 2006
- Preparing teachers of digital immigrants - 2005
- Skype Headsets, Pamela, WeeMees & Videoconferencing - 2005