The current TMobile advertisement for their 4G network data plans, “Step Up to Nationwide 4G Without Losing Your Shirt,” is pretty funny– particularly their portrayal of the AT&T exec. The setup for the advertisement is a direct play on Apple’s “Get a Mac” ad campaign featuring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac. In this case, Carly Foulkes is the spokeswoman for TMobile. There is considerable irony in this jab at AT&T now, considering the announced buyout of TMobile by AT&T announced March 20th. Something tells me AT&T will be taking this ad campaign off air and offline once that buyout is finalized… or maybe sooner? Ads like this which are humorous spinoffs on existing, successful ads make for effective marketing. Clever creativity, which also happens to be funny. Marketing in our attention economy doesn’t get much better than this from the consumer perspective.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- How Much Should Teachers Share Online? - 2016
- Configure WordPress to auto-correct HTML nested tag errors - 2011
- Science is a Contact Sport with the Brightest Minds in the World @GovInternships - 2011
- Lucrative rewards of viral videos encourage parents to put their children on YouTube - 2010
- Podcast346: Discussing Digital Literacy with Educators in the New Literacies Collaborative - 2010
- Discussing Digital Literacy with the New Literacies Collaborative at NC State - 2010
- Film on the Fly - Earth Day Contest Starts Monday! - 2009
- Storm Stories from Texas and Oklahoma - 2009
- Be wary of saying it with email - 2008
- Digital interaction opportunities for grandparents and grandchildren - 2008