http://twitter.com/LaunchFish Social media is your tool for evangelism Google loves indexing twitter and tweets They are talking about you right now, do you know what they are saying?
– are they having more conversations NOT about you Slide: the world is plugged in and online Number one site for traffic, Google
– next is Facebook (they were #1 a few months ago)
– 600 million use Facebook
3rd is YouTube, it is # Twitter was 11th, now 8th WordPress is 20th Social media is #1 activity on the web, not porn (that’s good news!) If you don’t show up in the search results, you don’t show up… Seth Godin: “If the marketplace isn’t talking about you… There’s a reason. The reason is you’re boring.” Introducing social media YouTube video: Social Media Revolution 2 (Refresh) by Socialnomics09 This video for $200 launched author Erik Qualman’s writing career
http://www.socialnomics.net/2010/05/05/social-media-revolution-2-refresh/ The Network Theory Analogy
– imagine moving to a new town where no one knows you. What was the first thing you would do?
– congregating around people with similar thought patterns and ideas A typical SIMM process
– Research how others are using social media, how can we use social media
– Mine: who is talking?
– Listen: what are they saying?
– Create: Develop social media campaign and generate unique content Make your message VIRAL with social media Example of LaunchFish working with site Seize the Deal, offering deal on 57% off TCU vs Oregon State football game in cowboy stadium 26 million mommy bloggers in the world
– they have huge power and make lots of money 89% of personal bank accounts are managed by women Key is going to the key influencers that you reach out to, you don’t reach out in a campaign to millions of people directly (cast a wider net by reaching out ot influencers) Killerfrogs.com got 17 pages of comments on this thread Evolution of media themes
– guardianship of the republic
– stewardship, care of the commons
– readership, circulation and advertising
– leadership in recording
– listenership, radio
– viewership, tv
– visitorship, unique visitors on the Internet
– believership, social media
— using ‘trusted sources’ inbound not outbound (The Power of at the Referral) It’s not about building a website and getting people there Social media is about trust and building trust
– if I talk about myself you are not going go trust me, but if I talk about things I know you will 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations, only 14% trust advertisements 2500 small businesses surveyed, 63.4% feel most of their business comes from referrals
– most don’t have a way to track referrals, however Ever heard of ‘smile and dial?’
– blogging is the new smile and dial
– blogging more often = results
– we are in a content war now Obtain a better SEO ranking by blogging Google favors websites like blogs which have constant content Participant: terms that get a lot of search results
– is heaven on earth
– Orthodoxy vs Taking your blog down and republishing is like starting over from Google Think about “reimagining” your content instead of republishing it Lots of people searching for Lady Gaga and the Apostle Paul What would the 12 Apostles do with a tool like Social Media?
– a line from “Jesus Christ Superstar” was, what would Jesus do with mass media? It is very easy to share content with others today Do test searches on Google as well as Facebook and do keyword searches You don’t have to publish all your own content, you can share and amplify ideas of others I am looking at you (as a content source) as a funnel and a filter What does ROI look like for your church?
– more referrals
– more views of your site The Power of a Tribe: Introducing The Social Media Ecosystem
– forming your tribe: notes from Seth Godin Tip for bloggers: look at trending topics on Twitter and Google, and post content to those subjects
– every journalist is on Twitter, if you get on their radar screens you will cast a wider net Website Klout.com tells you how much clout you have on the web
– Google has it’s own tool for this Recommendation is to copy social media campaign strategy from things launchfish, create a main site that is an aggregator site for different church blogs Another video: Google Social Search Update The more you publish, the more you can mute the negative and accentuate the positive You have an opportunity to build your own personal brand now better than ever Teens have an entitlement mentality about social media now I like Weebly and WordPress as blogging platforms for beginners, Blogger is also great and super Google indexing Go to YouTube and Google to figure out how to use Facebook MY THOUGHT: FOR MOST PEOPLE I DON’T THINK THAT IS AN ANSWER THAT WILL BEAR MUCH FRUIT Recommendation: Follow your own church and supporting organizations on Twitter, Facebook, etc.
– then convince your church to start regularly publishing content, and aggregate your content together with other churches Sent from my iPad
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- VIDEO: 10 Tips from a Technology Fear Specialist - 2019
- Restrict Plex Shared Movie Library to Include Just G, PG, PG-13 Films - 2017
- April 2013 OKC WordPress User Group Meetup Notes - 2013
- Good Things Can Come From Science and Engineering Projects in School - 2012
- Security Tips for WordPress: Understanding Network Attacks - 2012
- Fatherhood & Faith: Rearing Good Kids in a Secular Society - 2011
- An Exemplary Scribe Blog Post, Pecha Kutcha Presentation, and Screencast - 2010
- NETA09 Podcasts and A fun Star Wars Remix Video - 2009
- Kids making the case for classroom blogging - 2008
- Speak out and share your vision for education reform - 2008