http://moodle.tcea.org/area7conference/ (I GOT TO THIS SESSION A LITTLE LATE. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS.) It is so important to talk about more than apps, managing devices in the classroom is critical Bretford cart only certifies that a Mac / Apple computer (not a Windows machine) to charge and sync multiple iOS devices
http://apple.bretford.com/products/mobilitycart Important for teachers to create a home base for students to start from at school and at home
– could be a wiki page, a Moodle page, etc
– this is where students go for files, handouts, content, etc Maria’s site: http://server.iteachdigital.com
– this is a list of wikis for workshops I teach http://18.104.22.168/groups/ – using a wiki is word processing on the fly My idea playground is where I go to play with lots of sites, apps, etc Accessibility feature of iPad as three finger, double tap to zoom in
– turn that on in iPad settings Have you realized there is no “save” button on the iPad?
– the button in Safari on the iPad is “Share” not save
– this mirrors change we want to see in schools, we don’t live in silos, we need to share more Every time my 14 year old prints he is finished with that work, it is dead to him
– digital documents can be different Make your webpage an app by clicking the share button in Safari and choose “Add to Home Screen” Syncing your devices to the cart is sometimes not as spontaneous as learning can be when you use a wiki
– you can distribute links, ebooks, more this way
– great to use the cloud Isn’t it crazy that the iPad has just been out ONE year?
– every day there are new opportunities for what we use If you are going to do a widespread implementation of iPads, it is a really good idea to get all your students their own email accounts
– use email as a tool to distribute content (MY THOUGHT: THIS IS SO TRUE AND A GOOD REASON FOR SCHOOLS TO ADOPT GOOGLE APPS FOR THEIR DOMAIN!) You can create a free account on box.net and have an email address students use to turn in their assignments – this is storage in the cloud
– kids just have to know an email address to turn in their work, each folder you have has it’s own unique address http://box.net/ THIS IS A WONDERFUL TIP!!! Evernote is like a digital trapper keeper http://evernote.com Volume purchase plan makes it much easier for each device to have it’s own license for each app Proloquo2go is an expensive app schools are buying ($190)
– can replace a technology that costs $8000 – $10,000
http://www.proloquo2go.com/About/article/ipad Organization CK12 is resource for open source textbooks
– you can search for CK12 in iTunes to find these http://www.ck12.org/flexbook/ Text in an eBook is “reflowable” PDFs favor form over function
– the way it looks is more important than working with the document ePubs favor function over form All media must be in line when creating an ePub Apple has a free template for Pages available, which is good to use when creating ePubs
– this support page from Apple has great info on ePubs http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4168 Sent from my iPad
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- July 11, 2015: Student Journalism / Storychaser Club 101 Workshop - 2015
- No-edit Audio Podcasts of Conference Presentations Via Cinch @cinchcast #edapp #tatc11 - 2011
- Celebrating Texas Voices in White Oak - TCEA Area 7 Tech Conference #tatc11 - 2011
- Live and archived Ustream recordings from the Castilleja Summer Learning Institute - 2010
- Learning Environment Design by Apple - 2010
- Public education is not failing, but political spin doctors want you to think so - 2010
- Explain Virtually Anything with Claymation and Digital Storytelling - 2010
- links for 2008-06-10 - 2008
- Trends, Tools, and Tactics for 21st Century Learning - 2008
- $100 million for a petaflop of performance - 2008