Equipped as a storychaser with my iPad2, a $60 iRig mic, and the help of friends (as well as some bystanders) willing to be short-term videographers, I’ve recorded a series of interviews this week here in Philadelphia for the 2011 International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) conference.
In this second episode, Missouri educator Cindy Lane tells a remarkable story about the use of mercury-based “Thunderclapper pills” on the the Louis and Clark journey. Mercury is persistent stuff! As I mentioned at the end of the interview, this would make a great KML/KMZ student project with Google Earth or Google Maps!
View the entire list of equipment Louis and Clark took on their expedition on National Geographic. LouisAndClarkTrail.com also has some good medical background information about the trip, including the following quotation from author Steven Ambrose’s book, “Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis Thomas Jefferson and the Opening of the American West.”
Dr. Rush thought these pills would cure any number of ills. The pills were composed of calomel (a mixture of six parts mercury to one part chlorine), and jalap (eds note: jalapeno is a form of jalap). Each portion of the concoction was a purgative of explosive power…the combination was awesome.” Dr. Rush suggested that if one pill didn’t do the trick, you could take two or three.
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Comparing TeachMeet and EdCamp PD Models - 2015
- Voices of #iste11 - The 1:1 Digital Learning Revolution in Schools (Travis Allen - iSchool Initiative) - 2011
- Voices of #iste11 - A Newly Minted FourSquare Mayor in Philadelphia - 2011
- Voices of #iste11 - Copyright Advice for Teachers from Kristin Hokansen - 2011
- Voices of #iste11 - $15 per Month For Netbooks In New Zealand: BYOD = Buy Your Own Device - 2011
- Jason Ohler on Digital Literacy & Digital Storytelling #iste11 - 2011
- Separate Feedburner chicklets for blog posts and podcasts - 2010
- CNN provides a tutorial on retweeting - 2009
- CoverItLive Blog of Malcom Gladwell's Opening NECC Keynote - 2009
- Notes from Peter H. Reynolds at CCDC09 - 2009