If you want to include automatically saved geo/location information with photographs you take with an iPhone or other camera when you export the photos from iPhoto on a Mac and publish them to Flickr, you need to make several changes to your preference settings in both iPhoto ’11 and on Flickr.
First, change the default settings in iPhoto – Preferences – Advanced. Choose to “Include location information for published photos.”
Second, when exporting your photos from iPhoto (if you choose to not upload directly to Flickr within the iPhoto application) be sure to check the box “Include Location Information.”
Third, change your Flickr default privacy settings to import EXIF info. (That’s the geo-location meta information included with photos.)
I like using the Flickr Uploadr application (free) to upload my photos after saving them from iPhoto into folders on my local hard drive.
Be sure you understand the privacy implications of changing these settings before you upload photos. In my case this week, I want to have Flickr automatically create maps of the locations where I took photos in Montana. (I don’t have my photos from Glacier NP uploaded yet, however.) If you’re sharing photos you take from your house or somewhere else which has a location you don’t want to disclose, be sure to revert / change these settings again before publishing those photos.
I discovered these needed settings via this Flickr forum post (about iPhoto settings) and this post in the same thread (about Flickr EXIF import settings) after Googling for an answer this evening.
flickr, geo, tag, location, iphoto
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Google Training and Learning Opportunities in Oklahoma - 2014
- Distressed Over the Rising Costs of College (and other things) - 2014
- More Than One Way to Orbit in Scratch - 2013
- Welcome to Hogwarts (August 2013) - 2013
- Exploring Instructional Uses of YouTube with Lucy Gray (August 2012) - 2012
- Mobile E-Book Options for "On-the-Go" Readers - 2012
- Digital Textbooks using iBooks (August 2012) - 2012
- More Highlights from Glacier National Park - 2011
- MediaWiki spam cleanup recap and tutorial - 2010
- MemoryArchive and wikified history - 2008