Last week I created a new WordPress website (learn.playingwithmedia.com) for the series of workshops I’m offering both face-to-face and via videoconference in December focusing on skills from my eBook, “Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing.” The main website for my book (playingwithmedia.com) is hosted for free by Posterous.com. The learn.playingwithmedia.com site, however, is a self-hosted WordPress site I added to my “hosting account” as something called an “add-on slot.” At the time I created this website, I recorded a short screencast to document the steps I followed for others as well as for myself in the future when I want to repeat this process! I created the screencast using Screenflow software. It’s 12 minutes long.
It’s easier, faster, and generally less expensive to simply create a subdomain for your website using CPanel when you want to make a secondary site like I did in this case. Since my main website is hosted by Posterous, however, I had to create this as an “add-on site” using my existing hosting account with Siteground. If you have questions, comments or suggestions related to this process I’d love to hear them and will do my best to answer them.
If your school or state high school technology curriculum does not include in-depth learning about WordPress and CPanel, it is in dire need of an update. From what I understand, that’s the case with our state-mandated Oklahoma Career Tech curriculum for technology classes taken by high school students.
Technorati Tags: cpanel, howto, video, website, wordpress, youtube, subdomain, hosting
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Sharing Learning from Miami Device 2015 - 2015
- Green Screen Photo Station at our Fall Festival - 2014
- Educators Rejoice! YouTube Permits Moderated Video Comments By Default - 2013
- Dewey on Book Work and Opportunities for Mistakes - 2011
- American Teacher Documentary: An Answer to Waiting for Superman - 2011
- Mobile Digital Storytelling with StoryKit, Storyrobe, and SonicPics #edapp - 2010
- Talking K12Online09 on Seedlings - 2009
- Larry Lessig Explains Why We Don't Trust Congress - 2008
- Mac using Netflix Users: Start your engines! - 2008
- Jim Stovall discusses The Ultimate Gift - 2008