In this 11 minute screencast, I demonstrate how to use free software tools including Audacity, The Levellator, and Switch to “normalize” an audio recording before publishing it as a podcast. The process of normalization makes the volume levels in a recording more even, so the listening experience is better for podcast subscribers. The Levellator only accepts uncompressed audio files, like WAV files, to perform the normalization process. Switch software is handy to compress the resulting normalized file into a lower bitrate mp3 file which is MUCH smaller in size and faster to download.

Access the audio podcast mentioned in this screencast, “STEM ? Successfully Targeting Elementary Minds,” on the “Yukon PD Podcasts” website created as a free blog on Access and subscribe to the free “Fuel for Educational Change Agents” audio podcast, also referenced in the video, on

I used Screenflow software to create this screencast. If you give any of the techniques a try described in this screencast, please let me know via a comment or tweet. 🙂

'Day 16: Podcasting' photo (c) 2009, Laura Blankenship - license:

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on

On this day..

Share →

3 Responses to Normalize Audio Recordings Before Publishing a Podcast

  1. Nancy says:

    Wow! Am I glad I’m one of your subscribers! Your tutorial was perfectly timed with my sudden need to clean up and compress a half-hour audio recording I decided to make using my iPhone’s “voice memo” feature. My students were relieved to see me recording new material they need to learn, knowing that somehow I was going to have a resource for them to review. Thank you so much! 

  2. Dahak says:

    THANK YOU! I would have Never known about Levelator or Swtich. Both did exactly what I needed to make my podcast sound 10x better. Thank you AGAIN!

  3. Michael-Jon Simpson says:

    I’m busy doing an assignment and couldn’t figure out how to normalise my voice memo’s which I was using for commentary. Thanks so much! This worked a treat, much louder and better audio 🙂

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

Sharing from Matthews, North Carolina! Connect with Wes on Mastodon.