These are my notes from Jason Neiffer‘s breakout session, “Using Social Media to Improve Classroom and School Communications,” on August 8, 2012, at the Blackfoot Educational Technology Conference in Missoula, Montana. MY THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS. All referenced links/websites from this session are on www.workshophandouts.com/blackfoot12socialmedia. I GOT TO THIS SESSION A LITTLE LATE, SO THESE NOTES ARE NOT COMPLETE. GREAT SESSION!
ADDITION 9/3/2012: THE LIVEBINDER EMBED CODES BROKE MY FEEDBURNER RSS FEED, SO I’VE REMOVED THEM BUT KEPT THE DIRECT LINKS.
1. Social media presence should be planned: messaging is important
2. Accurate, up-to-date information beats out function, function beats out form
3. Unofficial presences are as important as official channels
4. Student voice is as important as adult voice
This Livebinder includes examples of school websites effectively leveraging social media
– Coded website, School Wires
2- Blogging Platforms
– EduBlogs, KidBlog, Blogger, Blog.com, TypePad, Jux, Tumblr, Posetrous, Weebly, LiveJOurnal
Serverside Content Management
– Moodle, Joomla, Drupal
– Make social media an assignment for staff (or students); don’t assume it will just get done
– Accept social media as a public relations strategy
Great post on educational social media strategy: “Think Of Your Social Media Strategy Like a Dress Code” by Brendan Schneider
If you enjoyed this post and found it useful, subscribe to Wes' free newsletter. Check out Wes' video tutorial library, "Playing with Media." Information about more ways to learn with Dr. Wesley Fryer are available on wesfryer.com/after.
On this day..
- Create and Share InfoPics to Show What You Know - 2017
- Automate Email Updates to Parents from Your Classroom Blog - 2012
- Adventure Based Learning by Brian Dufresne #wildtech - 2011
- Capture: Setting Up Traps to Organize Mountains of Information #wildtech - 2011
- Trends, Tools & Tactics for 21st Century Learning #wildtech - 2011
- Smart Networks #wildtech - 2011
- iPhone Videography from Glacier National Park - 2011
- Storychasing the 2008 XIT Rodeo and Ranch - 2008
- This is why we have so few laptop initiatives in Oklahoma - 2008
- Behold the power of photo tagging - 2008